1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Blown A C fuse- should I replace it?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Seymour1, Jun 19, 2024.

1. Seymour1

Seymour1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My 2010 Prius sat for 2 years unused. I found that the A C blows warm air. I checked for corrosion on the A C connector but it is O K. I found that the A C fuse under the inverter cover is blown. A new fuse is $27 but probably a new fuse will also blow. Have you ever known a Prius A C to blow a fuse and then work O K after replacing the fuse? I believe that the lower the voltage to the compressor, the more current it will draw. And the H V battery was low when I got the car.

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    So now the HD battery is all straightened out and good to go replace the fuse and see what happens I'm not sure if there's any electrical checks you can run on the compressor just do the windings and all that possibly and see if it's electriclysound. isolated etc.

3. Seymour1

Seymour1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks, Tom
    I just ordered a fuse. I will let you know what happens.

4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I would think there would be a way to rig some kind of test circuit breaker or something to run a test but I'm not electrically sound enough to know that for a fact but one would think that there should be some kind of a circuit breaker that you use to test electrical circuits like this and then you replace it with the $27 fuse or device that actually goes there once you establish that it's not going to immediately blow which then I guess in the service manual there must be a page or two dedicated to why this fuse would probably blow high current draw from the compressor because it's going bad something along those lines before this happened had you notice your air conditioner running excessively fast the compressor outside of the cabin generally when these things start to go on their way out and can't keep up they start speeding up faster and faster and faster to make up for its shortcomings as a pump or it's trying to pump nothing very low to no gas and that just winds the thing out like stepping on the gas pedal in neutral at the starting grid and just holding it until the thing blows up It's very similar I know this fuse exists so far I have not blown one. And I try to keep my air conditioners topped up ice cold and running properly because I'm in the southeast USA and I appreciate my air conditioning. I had hang on air conditioners in my 74 Corolla that would blow snowflakes out the vent so I don't know but I have to have it.