1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Blown fuses ??

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by a4retome, Mar 18, 2006.

1. a4retome

a4retome Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Anyone experienced a blown fuse when using a cell phone charger in the center console on my '05? I've gone through two 15 amp fuses in the last two weeks and would like to upgrade to a 20 amp, but I have come concerns that I could fry some of the wiring?

Anyone tried it?

Any idea where I can get the little buggers??

Thanks!

Chris

2. cmwade77

cmwade77 New Member

Sounds to me like your Cell Phone charger has a short in it, also make sure that the fuse in the charger is less than 15 amps (usually they are 5 amps, but you never know until you look). I woudl try a different brand of Cell Phone charger and/or try using the other socket.

3. a4retome

a4retome Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II

Good suggestions. As I recall I have used the other socket by the passenger's feet with the same result. As I recall the one 15 amp fuse powers both the center console and the passanger sockets.

4. cmwade77

cmwade77 New Member

Then it doesn't sound like a wiring issue with the car, I would guess that each lighter is connected to the fuse box individually rather than in serial, so I would tend to bet more with the car charger, I found the cheapest place ot buy them is at AutoZone, for $5.99 I just bought one last night for my Fiancee's cell phone there, I would suggest that first, much cheaper than redoing the wiring or fuses on the car.

5. Rick Grahn

Rick Grahn New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

Agreed. Sounds like your charger is broken.

6. cmwade77

cmwade77 New Member

Keep us posted as to what you decide and how it works for you.

7. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

My Audiovox cell charger has a 3 amp fuse in it.

8. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Altho, this is an old thread, I will add to it and update at least for the 2005 year. The cause of blown fuse in my case was I tried to adjust the springs on the outside of the inverter socket to assure a better fit (it kept falling out) Apparently the pos and neg inside the socket are quite close so it shorted out and blew the 15A fuse. After searching in Prius chat for the exact location of the instument fuse panel, I gave up and went to the Bentley Book. The book is all right but the diagram for fuse locations is upside down and inside out. The book says the fuse panel is under the instrument panel. Well, it is worse than that! One must contort the head about 98 degrees and look straight up AND lo and behold there presents itself a med long unmarked box with a cover on it. After stressing both long sides it is possible to get the cover off. The cover has a very nice description of the fuses and purpose. don't forget that before you attempt to even locate the fuse panel, get the fuse puller that is located in the engine compartment. Use puller to remove and install. The puller is tricky, but you'll figure it out. Incidentally the fuse was open. (bad). Good luck. :rockon:

9. jdonalds

jdonalds Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Touring
    We blew 3 15A fuses on this 500 mile trip. I couldn't figure out what was causing it. I finally found a bare wire in the 12V cigarette lighter splitter we were using. Thats going in the trash.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    some aftermarket accessories are trash.:cool: