1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Blown Head Gasket and Burning Oil at 168,000

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Nick D, Aug 11, 2024 at 10:27 PM.

1. Nick D

Nick D New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello,

I definitely had a blown gasket in my 2014 Prius (manufactured 01/2014) after 168,000 miles. I had the notorious CLACK CLACK CLACK at startup. It only did it for about 30 seconds and would go away when accelerating. I’ve already thoroughly cleaned the EGR system and replaced the PCV valve and the symptoms still persisted. I did have a check engine light which was P0301. Misfire - cylinder 1. I took the number one spark plug out and it smelled of coolant. I flashed a flash light down the spark plug hole and could see that the top of the cylinder head was wet so I was confident that it was a blown head gasket. I brought the cylinder head to a machine shop and had it resurfaced. I will be lapping the valves myself. I’ve taken photos of the cylinder walls for your opinions. I can’t feel any ridges or grooves anywhere on the cylinder walls. I can also still see the cross hatching. I’ve already got the engine completely torn down and the short block is on engine stand right now. I was reading that there is a microfilm on the cylinder walls so if I rehome, it’s been reported that I could burn oil because the microfilm is missing? Should I skip honing and just clean up carbon from piston heads and install new rings? I did see carbon build up on the oil consumption rings. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Attached Files: