1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Blue arrows VS. Yellow arrows?? Whats the difference?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by freshmtt, May 15, 2008.

1. freshmtt

freshmtt Dachshund Addict

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I read in someone's post about Pulse and Glide and they said that the glide mode should be when there are no arrows on the display, but my question is what is the difference if there are no arrows compared to either blue arrows only or yellow arrows only.

All three of these, NO Arrows, BLUE Arrows, and YELLOW Arrows all show that you are getting 99.9 MPG.

And if your main goal is to increase MPG why should is matter if you have only NO Arrows? According to the display you are getting the same MPG as if you had blue arrows or yellow arrows??

Can someone explain if it really matters and why??

2. okiebutnotfrommuskogee

okiebutnotfrommuskogee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yellow arrows show that you are using battery power to help move car. Sooner or later that energy has to be replaced. Some of it will come from regeneration when stopping, but some of it has to come from the engine driving a motor/generator.

Green arrows indicate regenerated energy flowing to battery. That is a good thing if you have to slow down anyway, but if you are trying to get maximum coast, that regeneration will slow you down a little.

No arrows show that you are really coasting, almost like old fashion free wheeling. This gets you the most for your pulse and glide action. If you have green arrows and press slightly on the go peddle to make all the arrows go away you will actually feel the car speed up a little because it is rolling more easily.

Since this pulse and glide won't work above about 41mph, I usually let up on the gas when the speedometer gets to 40mph and let the car slow down a couple of miles per hour with green arrows then go back into no arrows glide.

Hope this helps.

3. Sheepdog

Sheepdog C'Mere Sheepie!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I love P&G but it slows down too fast to suit me! 40 to like 29 or the like seem to take no time at all. at the end of my day I like to travel at speeds less than that and on battery only knowing it will charge the next day anyway to heat up.

I usually do 50mpg but today I got to 57 playing with my SGII. neat toy!

4. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    There are actually 3 colors of arrows:

Orange arrows show mechanical energy transferred from the ICE to power the wheels or to turn the generator (MG1).

Yellow arrows show electrical energy transferred to power the car or to charge the battery (often both at the same time)

Green arrows show electrical energy that is from regeneration and would normally be lost as heat when braking or powertrain loss when coasting.

1 person likes this.
  5. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Another important thing to note is that 99.9 MPG is the maximum display, so it could be 99.9, 345, 107, 220, infinity, etc. Therefore, when you see the 99.9 MPG with yellow arrows and then again with blue arrows, don't think the car is getting 99.9 MPG. If you get a Scan Gauge, you can read up to 999 MPG.

1 person likes this.
  6. bbald123

bbald123 Thermodynamics Law Enforcement

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    This means you aren't hitting the glide quite right. You are getting regenerative braking.

Change to the energy flow display and practice "no arrows" glides until you can do it without referring to the display. With flat or very slightly downhill I can glide miles, literally, at 99.9 MPG.

7. acdii

acdii Active Member

I found the TCH P&G's much easier than the Prius. The pedal on our Prius was too sensitive, but the 09 TCH seems to be much easier to get it to glide. So far I am up to 38 MPG mixed city highway. If I can get on a very long stretch of open 55MPH road with light traffic I can get it over 42 MPG.