1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Blue Coating on 12V battery terminals.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by uart, Sep 26, 2010.

1. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Today I decided to check my 12 battery with a digital voltmeter. When I got to it and could see the battery posts I was surprised to see what I first though was a fair bit of corrosion on the terminals and pigtail connections.

On closer inspection however it didn't look anything like corrosion I've ever seen before. It was a real cobalt blue color and the more I looked at it the more it seems that someone had actually sprayed it on.

I'm now almost certain that it's not corrosion, but I still don't know for sure what it is. Has anyone else seen something like this on their Gen II? If not then maybe the guy who owned the car before me sprayed it on.

2. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Coating to prevent corrosion...

3. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yep that's what it looks like to me. Do you know if it's factory applied firepa63?

4. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    No not factory applied. There are a variety of products out there intended to prevent battery post corrosion

I personally use Fluid Film on my battery posts

5. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Ok thanks for the info.

The 12V battery measured 12.5 volts BTW. This was with the car fully off, so as close to no load as is possible with the battery still connected. When I use the MFD signal check it's only 12.3V, though there's a small drain on the battery to power the car when that measurement is taken.