1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Blue Jeans Cable Strikes Back - Response to Monster Cable

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by xsmatt81, Apr 16, 2008.

1. xsmatt81

xsmatt81 non-AARP Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  2. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    All the big box have insane markups on cables. Why the heck would I pay $200+ bucks for some fancy packaging, when a sub-$10 cable would do just the same. It's digital. It either works or it doesn't. Maaaayybe, the pricey cable has better durability, but I'm not pulling out the cable and putting it back in, with any kind of frequency. Even then, I'd still have to buy 20+ cables from MonoPrice to equal a 'Monster'-type cable. Monorprice FTMFW!

Here's a report regarding HDMI cables from our National News:

3. xsmatt81

xsmatt81 non-AARP Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    i agree monster cable's aren' complete trash as they stand in regards to function, but their buisness practices are questionable and they as a company are just plain dishonest and ripping the consumer off. Mainly the 50+ crowd at best buy. I once bought the monster hype about 8 years ago..but not anymore!

good video btw

4. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    That's a great letter from the president of Blue Jeans Cable.

I'll never pay a lot for cables, but I will pay for good connectors. I've found spades and bananas from ViaBlue that seem to be well made but are only a fraction of the price of WBT termination.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

One of my EE friends (I have an EE degree too) loves to plunk down tons of money on ridiculously priced Audioquest cables. I will never understand why he does this, he knows 99.9% of the mfgr's claims are ridiculous.

5. xsmatt81

xsmatt81 non-AARP Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    those audio quest cables are very sexy, but I would need to be in a coma to pay for them. I have cheap no name HDMI/ RCA and componet cables on all my gear. And some S-video cables from 96 along with my Super VHS recorder from walmart that are fine till this day,(and cough some Monster brand coax cables) although I only own 3 S-vhs tapes :D

my dad is going to buy a new lcd soon, going from syntax to a Bravia or sammy..I told him to go with sammy since most of the panels from the bravia line come from the same plant's anyway. But he doesnt listen, and I bet if i go over next week to check out the new set, he will have monster cables hooked to it! I will make him return them promptly, this happned 4 years ago with the syntax, which isnt a bad set but at the time he paid out the nose for a 37, around say 2200 bucks..when you can easily get them at fry's now for about 5--600 bucks on specials, sometimes lower..thats technology for you.

6. Devil's Advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Cable quality makes a difference with analog signals but not digital. You don't get the same effect from type of electrical interference with digital that you do with analog. If a digital signal drops a packet due to interference it just goes back and get's it again. In analog you would see picture or audio degredation.

The only issue with digital seems to be distance. Over 50ft you need a booster or else you get too many dropped packets. I'm not sure why.

7. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two

It basically comes down to the native resistance of the cable. Yes, coper wires and such are great conductors, but they still do have a small resistance to them. Basically, if your data signal has an amplitude of 5V at the origination point, for every foot of wire that signal travels through that amplitude diminishes by a small fixed amount. Add up 50 feet of wire, and you approach the detection threshold of your receiver, resulting in a lot of dropped packets.

8. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Audio signals run at such low bandwidth that even with analog, cable size makes very little difference. The quality of the connector is important to avoid corrosion and broken wires, and for coaxial cables you want a decent shield on the ground, but you certainly don't need cables the size of your thumb for excellent analog audio.

Many digital formats don't retransmit lost data for something as non-critical as audio. Mostly they fill in the missing spot by interpolation. The maximum length of a digital link depends on many factors, including bandwidth, protocol, signal strength, receiver sensitivity, and physical medium. We routinely run digital signals 600 feet over unshielded thin copper at speeds 1000 times that of digital audio without any problems at all.

Tom

9. Dngrsone

Dngrsone Underwhelmed, to say the least

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hahaha, that's awesome.

I had a friend who was a serious audiophile and he disdained Monster from the very beginning. I recall some twenty years or so ago walking into his "listening room" and seeing a mess of medium gage solid wire snaking all over the place-- the + and - inputs for each speaker were spaced something like an inch or inch and a half apart and wires only crossed at 90 degrees.

He hated Monster cables because the braid sucked up moisture and caused corrosion throughout the cable.