1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Blue neon

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by roger, Oct 15, 2004.

1. roger

roger New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, I put a blue neon strip up under the back, in the middle. Wired to the tail lights. The result - a cool blue glow under the back of the car at night. I know neon under the car is a common mod for street racers but I figured just one under the back would be good. and it is. Now i'm definitely one of a kind! I jokingly told someone the glow is a by-product of the silent propulsion system. She believed me.

2. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Interesting, any pics?

3. roger

roger New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not yet, We're between digi cams right now, since our Canon G5 was stolen, but I'll get some video of it tomorrow night and take some captures from that. I'll put the vid on my site too maybe..

4. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(roger\";p=\"45362)</div>
    How did you run the wire into the car? I assume the neon is outside the car and underneath the bumper? My partner's son suggested I do that all around the car until I discovered that it's illegal in Washington. Not sure if just the back light would also be illegal.
    I've installed blue and green LEDs under the dash and one over my head fastened to the top of the shoulder strap holder. They create ambient blue and green lighting, which alleviates the feeling of being in a cave when driving at night. The lights are run through switchable extensions so any of them can be turned off if desired.
    B

5. roger

roger New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    there is a wire harness that enters through the spare wheel well. followed that and then along to one of the rear lights and scotchlocked the 2 wires from the tube to the wires to the tail light

6. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(roger\";p=\"45758)</div>
    OK, then did you run the wires over the trunk threshold to get the wires outside the car? ...or is the neon light inside the car somewhere?
    Bob

7. roger

roger New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    no, the tube is outside the vehicle, and the wires run in through the spare wheel well, as there is alrteady a wire harness entering there.

I will post photos later today :)

8. priusham

priusham New Member

Michigan - land of everlasting snowflake icon!
    And soon to be seen on ricecop.com!

9. roger

roger New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Okl, I bought my girlfriend a Canon G6 today for her b'day, (yay, we're not without a camera naymore!) So you can see the pics of my neon strip on this page: (right at the bottom after the text)
    www.roger.id.au/mystuff

10. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    From roger's web site on things he likes about HIS Prius <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(roger\";p=\"46125)</div>
    To which I reply with things I like about MY Prius:

The woman's voice who guides and says where to turn, etc has a nice American accent. Luckily not an Australian one - that would be just annoying after a while! ;-)

Nice pictures by the way. Did you have to let your girlfriend use your new Prius since she let you use her new camera? :)

11. VARedDevil

VARedDevil New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bruceha_2000\";p=\"46139)</div>
    I would really like to have a female voice with an Australian accent. I spent two years stationed in Austraila and found that when a Sheela speaks, that is the sexiest sounding voice. :D :angel:

12. Ryomatic

Ryomatic New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(roger\";p=\"46125)</div>
    Roger,

Just wanted to say I love your website. Very clean look and you're interested in much of the same stuff I am. I think I wasted over an hour at work just surfing it. Thanks alot :x

And speaking of the guide voice: I haven't checked, but if you choose French for the language, does the guide voice change to a sexy French accent? I wouldn't mind not understanding what she's saying if that is the case :mrgreen:

(I apologise ahead of time for going off on a tangent)

13. heliotropehead

heliotropehead New Member

That is so cool! I'll have to get my boyfriend to do the same to my car!
    :)

14. roger

roger New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    hahaha

Don't take offense at the american accent thing, thats just my way of being funny. We get bombarded with it on tv here as most shows are american, so we really don't notice it anymore.

mmmmmmmmmm french..... mmmmmmmm
    My g/f speaks fluent french... and yes, she is allowed to drive it.. she's learning to drive on it. - doesnt have her full license yet.. scarey stuff!

15. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Be aware that it is illegal, at least in some states. Vermont is one of them.

16. Ryomatic

Ryomatic New Member

OK, I'm in deep now. I went and ordered the blue LED car kit. Sorry Roger but you're not the only one with a glowing blue Prius now. At least we won't run into each other on the freeway since I'm on the other side of the planet. :wink:

17. rydot

rydot New Member

You're right, that light does look like it's part of the propulsion system-- it's MUCH better looking than the "round the chassis" underside-glow some car owners do.

Hey, I wonder if there'd be a way to add a circuit that would change the light's intensity based on speed or acceleration...

Hey Captain Bob, do you have any photos of Humu's interior that show your lighting design?

18. RMunroe

RMunroe New Member

Roger

You had better return your car to the dealer for repairs. They put the steering wheel on the wrong side

19. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    anyone know what the laws are in CA. i've seen a few cars with neon lights.. but it's very rare.. if it's legal, i'm putting lights in. I have always wanted to but wanted to see what they look like first.. they do hide well under the frame of the car though.

20. roger

roger New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    here it is illegal to have anything but red (always on) lights at the back of a car, and indicators have to be flashing amber. It is illegal to have coloured lights at the front (although I did have a knight rider scanner on the front of my Celica for years and was warned by the cops that it was illegal but they didn't do anything about it)

So if a cop ever pulls me over and says I am not allowed to have a blue light at the rear, I will tell him "it isn't a light, it's a glow" and "it isn't at the back of the car, it's underneath the car"

Based on the letter of the law here, I'll get away with it. The reason for the law is that different colour lifghts on your car confuse other drivers (but then if drivers get confused that easily I dont want them on the road)