1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bluetooth adapter for use with non-Bluetooth phone

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by chris_b_01, Jun 2, 2004.

1. chris_b_01

chris_b_01 New Member

Does anyone know of an adapter that I could use with my non-Bluetooth phone

I am looking to use the Prius speakers and mic. plugging into the small connector where the hands-free kit would go on the phone

I would hit "talk" if the phone rings and then be able to lay the phone down, talking through the Prius mic.

Does such a thing exist?

Chris

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not that I've heard of, the system requires 2 different protocols and a dedicated BT phone. It might be possible to rig something up, but I think it will be pretty difficult.

3. David

David Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I bought the Jabra BT Headset for non-BT phones to use with my Kyocera 7135. Although the headset worked with no problems with the phone, I could not get the BT to work with the Prius. The Toyota BT requires two different protocols to work with a phone and as far as I've been able to determine none of the BT add-ons have both protocols.

I now have a Seimens S56 BT phone that I just use in the car and still carry the 7135 because of its PDA capabilities. Its a pain having two phones but the ease of BT in the Prius makes it worth it.

4. delrey

delrey Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Heh! Good to know I'm not the only Kyocera 7135 owner with a bluetooth phone in the car ...

I inadvertantly discovered that Sprint reception has improved a lot since I left them for Verizon & 7135.

Now whichever one (Sprint or Verizon) gets a CDMA bluetooth PDA phone first wins 100% of my business!

5. mboileau

mboileau New Member

Other non-BT Options

I have the T616 bluetooth phone, which as we all know works with the Prius gneerally speaking. I also purchased (after reading about it on this site) a Bluetrek bluetooth headset so I could use the BT capability when I'm not in the car as well.

Bluetrek makes a dongle adapter for non-BT phones. Of course, I can't be sure since I haven't tried it, but if their equipment works with the T616, and the T616 works with the Prius, then maybe their BT protocols support the required services.

You can read about it at:
    http://www.bluetrek.com/dongle/dongle.htm

You can purchase one from a variety of online distributers by Google searching or Yahoo! Shopping searches.

6. chris_b_01

chris_b_01 New Member

Re: Other non-BT Options

Just got this back from their Technical Support dept:

-------------------------------

No, the unit will not work with the system in your car.

-Support

DCOMM USA

Exclusive US Rep  BlueTrek

[email protected]

---------------------------------

7. HarleyMYK

HarleyMYK Junior Member

:cry: Bummer!

I also have a 7135 that I would like to use with my new Prius.

I will check with Kyocera on Monday and see if they have any ideas.

8. michelle

michelle New Member

9. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No, it probably will not. In fact, it almost certainly will not. There are two different Bluetooth protocols needed and the hands free adapters only have one of them. I certainly would not invest money you couldn't get back for one of these b/c unless something new has come out in the last month or so none of the older adapters would work.

10. michelle

michelle New Member

But this particular adaptor is designed to work with their automotive adaptor. Here is what is says about the automotive adaptor:

"This car kit combines hands-free convenience with sophisticated Bluetoothâ„¢ wireless technology. Adjust and control volume, as well as answer, end, mute or place calls - all directly from a highly stylized control panel that conveniently mounts to your dashboard. When on a call, your music will automatically mute until you are finished. (If this feature is supported by your vehicle's entertainment system)

Other convenient features include voice activated dialing for up to 100 contacts and backlighting for easy viewing in dark conditions.

This car kit also has the ability to communicate with other Bluetoothâ„¢ enabled devices inside the car, including wireless phones and portable MP3 players."

And here is what is says about the phone adaptor:

"No need to go through the costly expense of purchasing a new handset to get the benefits of Bluetooth!

The new DC600 attaches easily to your phone allowing non-Bluetooth capable Motorola phones to use Bluetooth companion products by Motorola."

It says that with my phone, it supports voice and data.

11. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It does sound that way...give it a try...just be sure you can return it.

12. michelle

michelle New Member

Well, I haven't decided whether to buy it. It's a work around at best. It plugs into both the bottom of the phone and the headphone jack, so it would be very inconvenient to carry around. I'd most likely leave it in the car (if I did get it) and plug the phone into it whenever I got in the car--and that's almost too much work.

There are rumors that Verizon will have a blue tooth enabled phone for sale within a month or so, and I'm due for an uprage (at $100 less than the normal upgrade price) in November, so I just may wait.