1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bluetooth after turning off car

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by tacomel, Aug 15, 2006.

1. tacomel

tacomel New Member

I have a Motorola RAZR phone with Cingular service. It is paired with the Prius, set up for automatic connect, and reliably pairs with the car within seconds of turning the car on.

From time to time I have noticed that when an incoming call is received and answered, I hear nothing at all, and the party on the other end hears nothing from me. Today, I shut off the Prius and received a phone call about 5 seconds later, and experienced similar "dead air." I then walked into the house and the phone prompted me with a message that I had not seen before, about the bluetooth signal being weak and asking if I wanted to switch to the phone. There are no other bluetooth devices (save my wife's car, which was miles away at the time) that have ever been paired with the phone.

This experience has led me to wonder if the phone stays paired with the Prius even after the Prius is shut down (or if the phone believes it is still paired for a while after whatever it's paired to shuts off). Any similar experiences out there, and if so, how have you resolved the issue?

2. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, there typically is a slight lag after you shut down the car before the phone realizes it. With mine (Verizon LG 8100), it usually tries to stay connected about 10 seconds after the car is shut off. However, if i receive a call, i can pull up an options menu and select "use phone" from it to manually bypass the bluetooth (also usefull if i'm in the middle of a call when i arrive at my destination and need to turn off the car).

I don't think this is the Prius's fault, but rather a problem with the phones or maybe even the bluetooth standard that allows longer times between checking for a signal. (for example, head into a movie theater or someplace you know you don't have cell reception... your phone will still think you do, for up to 30 seconds before the bars disapear. similar situation when you leave that area into one you know you have reception. it's the same way with the bluetooth).

3. tmgrl3

tmgrl3 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Aug 16 2006, 09:00 AM) [snapback]304009[/snapback]</div>
    Yup...I have similar problems at times...sometimes, car won't "pair" up right away so I have to shut off phone and turn back on...yesterday, I still had my BT earpiece on and turned on, and the car seamlessly took over BT control, since it is default in presence of another BT.

Mostly, the phone works fine...except when the signal is weak, of course...I, too, have a RAZR and Cingular.

terri