1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bluetooth as an audio device - Linux

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by tb, Aug 13, 2004.

1. tb

tb New Member

Hello Prius fans! I've been playing around with the Bluetooth headset quite a bit lately and have managed to get it interacting with Linux. Anyone else messing with this?

The idea behind all of this was to be able to play MP3 etc through the BT headset.

It will eventually work with a little more effort, but now I'm questioning whether it's actually worth it. Here's what the audio output must be converted to in order to listen:

Channels = 1
    SamplesPerSec = 8000
    FormatTag = WAVE_FORMAT_PCM
    BitsPerSample = 16
    AvgBytesPerSec = 16000

:pukeright:

Needless to say, not so good. I have a couple more things in mind (both with the music idea and with the BT system). If anyone else is interested in hearing it, (or has ideas for me to try) I'll keep the forum posted on progress.

cheers,
    --tb

2. Brian

Brian Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I use the Bluetooth to transmit pictures from my T616 to my laptop which also has bluetooth.

3. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I contemplated using my Linux laptop for something like tihs, but stopped short when I realized my USB Dongle doesn't work well (Microtune based).

I also realized that 8khz mono sound coming through the left front woofer (no tweeter) wouldn't sound too great.

I think I'm going to wait for the line-in and then get an OGG/Vorbis capable portable player. Fidelity is more important than the geek factor of doing audio.

Now if I could transmit phone book data w/ the laptop to the Prius, that could be a worthy project.