1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bluetooth Audio Problem

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by rstark18, Jul 25, 2009.

1. rstark18

rstark18 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Just got my III w/ nav (sunroof). I configured my iPhone 3G (3.0) to do both Bluetooth phone and audio streaming. I noticed a weird sound while playing music via bluetooth. It sounded like the speakers were slightly blown. I immediately check FM and Sat to see how they sounded and they sound fine. I then reset my iPhone and it sounded fine for a few minutes after that the bad sound came back. It seems to come back quicker if I mess around with the Nav unit. I also tried using the AUX jack and that sounded great all the time. Is anyone else hearing this with bluetooth streaming? What troubleshooting steps should i take?
    Thanks.

2. frobie

frobie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I hear the same noise. I assumed it was that I had low quality MP3's and was going to go home tonight and put on a few lossless ones and try it again.

3. rstark18

rstark18 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Finally someone to confirm this. All my mp3's are 192kps or above so it's not a quality issue. Now to try and figure out if it's a Toyota or an Apple problem. My hunch is it's an Apple problem.

Does it sound good for some time after you do a hard reset (not on then off)?

4. Radon

Radon New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd also play a song you know gives distortion with bluetooth streaming then play it again in the aux port that will tell you if its a speaker problem or streaming problem. There was a Prius at the dealership I got mine from that had a blown speaker on the lot.

5. frobie

frobie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have not tried restarting it, but I will now. Unfortunately I don't know anyone who has a different type of device that I could try it with to say that its an apple thing.

6. cpatch

cpatch New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Are you using one of the iPhone's EQ settings? (Settings->iPod->EQ) If so, try turning EQ off and see if the problem is still there.

7. frobie

frobie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I am not using any EQ settings on the iPhone

8. rstark18

rstark18 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I FIGURED OUT MY BT AUDIO QUALITY. Thanks to someone that posted about the WiFi being on the same frequency as Bluetooth in the Apple forums. I usually have BT turned on always to use it at home. I tried turning it off and I could not duplicate my problem. I turned it on and instantly the sound quality diminished. On a side note, I had a few friends complain about the sound quality of my calls to them using the in-car BT. Once I turned off WiFi all calls are crystal clear. So hopefully Apple will fix this in an upcoming update. I will be opening up a case with them now that I can repeat the problem.

1 person likes this.
  9. frobie

frobie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I am going to try this tomorrow when I get back to my car. Great find!