1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bluetooth behavior modification

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Auslander, Nov 4, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Auslander

Auslander New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    First time poster.

I've got a 2016 Prius 2.

The BT sends a play, or play/shuffle (if no current play queue) command to my phone on connection.

I'd like to turn this off. I don't see where to do it in the system. Is there a hidden/service menu that contains this option? Is there a known process for accessing the hidden service menus on the 2016s?

So, a bunch of searching around reveals a ton of complaints on this issue, but no real durable solutions.

I called Toyota and very clearly articulated this problem. I put it in specific development/engineering terms and ensured the assistant creating the case fully understood the issue. She did; in fact she said that her car does that also, and she always found it weird.

If enough people call Toyota and register this concern with them, they will do something about it. I have done half of the work for you.

All folks have to do is to call Toyota at 1-800-331-4331 (7AM - 7PM CST), and reference Case Number 1611041749 and say you would like to open a case using that case number as a template. They will request a bit of contact information from you and that's it.

Hopefully this will be fixed on the front-end, though I did request the option for this to be accessible via OBDII service menu for nerds. This might allow them to integrate the fix more rapidly in the next firmware update, and not have to worry about front-end design changes.

2. drysider

drysider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I guess you are sure this is not a problem with the phone?

3. Auslander

Auslander New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes. It's a signal being the car to the phone. It doesn't matter if it's an Android or iOS device; the primitive command is the same, and each device just catches it and carries it out using whatever default music player is on the device.

If it was an issue with the phone/device in particular, it would do this every time it connected to an A2DP Bluetooth device (i.e., a home stereo, etc). But it does not.

The durable way to fix it is to enable an option on the vehicle to allow users to disable the command initiation from the head unit.

4. wrprice

wrprice Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Mine only auto plays when I have the Bluetooth audio source selected, or an Entune audio app selected like Pandora. (Entune also uses A2DP).

Then again, I have the JBL premium audio, so that could be the difference. My former Gen3 Two occasionally had the opposite problem, where the device would not auto play.

#4 wrprice, Nov 4, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2016