1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bluetooth "buzzing"?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Red 2007, Apr 9, 2007.

1. Red 2007

Red 2007 New Member

I have a 2007 package #6 and have experienced "buzzing" coming from the speakers when my Treo 650 is in the Prius. Has anyone else experienced this and is there any way to fix it? It doesn't matter where the Treo is in the car -- whether it's on the seat, in the center console or in the glove compartment, I still get the buzzing. Sometimes it is worse than others. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

2. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Red 2007 @ Apr 9 2007, 05:53 PM) [snapback]420512[/snapback]</div>

Have you tried removing and then repairing the phone to the car?

3. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Red 2007 @ Apr 9 2007, 07:53 PM) [snapback]420512[/snapback]</div>
    Does it buzz when the Bluetooth is active or even when it stands by? I am guessing the former.
    If so, you need to debug which party is at fault, Prius or Your Treo. You may pair your Treo with a Bluetooth headset to
    hear the sound quality. You may also borrow friends' cell phone (with Bluetooth) to try the connection with Prius.
    I think you could identify the problem by going thru this process (like a engineer would do..).

It is not uncommon to have defected Bluetooth chips in cell phones or PDAs.

4. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ceric @ Apr 9 2007, 06:16 PM) [snapback]420520[/snapback]</div>

The Handsfree profile, which is what the car uses, does not have a standby mode. It does not monitor the phone, it merely waits til the phone tells it what to do.

5. stomsf

stomsf New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Depending on how close your phone is to your head unit/speakers, you could be getting the GSM bug buzz that is common to most phones. Unshielded components (as in my 10 year old computer speakers) will have that humm/buzz when my phone gets data or is about to receive a call.

6. Red 2007

Red 2007 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vagabond @ Apr 9 2007, 07:39 PM) [snapback]420551[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for the replies ... I have tried reprogramming the phone with the car. In fact, I have a new Treo and have the same buzzing as I had with the old Treo. It does buzz a bit more when a call is coming in, but it'll mostly buzz when the Treo is sitting in the car. It's not consistent -- it'll buzz like crazy for a day or two and then it won't buzz for a few days, then buzz again, and so on. I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and if there was a secret to make it stop. :)

Thanks!

7. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vagabond @ Apr 9 2007, 09:39 PM) [snapback]420551[/snapback]</div>
    I meant to distinguish whether the phone buzzes when there is conversation or not (therefore, active and standby). I didn't mean it technically. I know what you meant by standby mode. Thanks for the explanation on handfree profile.

It looks to me that Treo simply has bad bluetooth chip. I have has three cell phones paired with Prius.
    None of them has noticeable "buzzing", whether the conversation is on or off. I had Moto V551, SE W600i, and new
    RAZR V3xx (3G).