1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bluetooth handsfree calling question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by shah, Jan 14, 2010.

1. shah

shah Love My Prius

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi everyone:

I just bought a used 09 Prius and liking it a lot. Unfortunately it did not come with a manual, I have one on order.

But I was playing with all the features and am having a little bit of problem with using bluetooth. Of course could not wait for the manual to arrive I thought I would ask all you enthusiasts out here on this forum and I am sure someone will help me.

I am able to connect my Motorola RAZR v3 with it, and I am able to make calls by speaking or entering the numbers. I was however trying to setup the speed dial. Here are my questions:

1. When I go into Settings and then Speed Dial it gives me two options: Speed Dial and Speed Tone. And underneath both of them there are buttons like Register etc. I was able to tap on the Register button underneath Speed Tone and was able to set an entry for my home phone in there with my name in it. But I am not able to tap (grayed out) on the Register button under Speed Dial for some reason. Any idea?

2. What is the difference in Speed Dial and Speed Tone?

3. From the Help it seems I should be able to call someone with their name. I wonder if Speed Tone is that feature. But I am not able to dictate names to the system. It seems to be expecting numbers only, if I say a name, it still guesses a number out of what it hears.

Any help would be appreciated. And yes one more question not related to bluetooth though:

4. On the steering wheel among the right hand side buttons there is a button labelled Map. When I press it it says "No external devices connected". What is it for?

Thanks.

2. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    shah,

I have a 2010 but would think it would be very similar to the 2009. For a quick access to the Nav manual, log on to toyotaownersonline.com and you can have access to the Owner's and Nav manual to your car.

The Speed Dial are for the names, such as Home, wife, friend, etc. The Speed Tones are for additional numbers such as for answering machines and voice mail. For instance, my service providers voice mail messsage needs the number 3.

You can access the Speed Dial button while driving, which is one of the only buttons available while driving. The others you have to use the Voice Commands.

Hope this helps.

3. tomguild

tomguild smugmobile owner

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Hi Shah:

Sound like we have similarly-equipped cars. The way the Prius handles voice dialing is by far one of the most counter-intuitive and poorly-documented features in the vehicle.

"Register" means to store the number in the car's address book.

"Speed Tones" are a feature you can probably ignore--like the previous poster said, they let you enter account numbers, etc. Those are the sorts of things you probably SHOULDN'T be messing with in a moving car. You just want "Speed Dial".

It took me forever to figure out how to record the voice commands; in fact I'll have to go down to my car and look at it again to figure it out. You can only store 20, and the system has NO ability to do anything but match what you say while driving with the same thing you recorded earlier during setup.

Search this forum; I think that's how I both figured it out, and discovered PriusChat in the first place. The owner's manual is pretty sketchy.

One thing--enter the numbers into the address book first. Then, go back to that number, and look around; try everything; somewhere in there is the command to record your voice.

In the end, I got a Blackberry with Bluetooth. Its voice recognition passes to the Prius dialer.

Finally, the "Map" button is just to remind you that you don't have a NAV system installed. Probably designed by the same engineers who developed the dial-by-voice Bluetooth system.

4. alanh

alanh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    To record a voice tag for dialing by name, go into the address book and edit a contact. Press the down arrow on the left side of the screen to go to the second page (the arrow looks like it will scroll to the next contact, but it doesn't).

You can record a voice tag here.