1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bluetooth here today ... bought it at Radio Shack

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Lectricar, Jul 31, 2004.

1. Lectricar

Lectricar New Member

Just back from Radio Shack (and no they did not offer batteries)...I purchased a V710 for $310 less a $70 rebate...that's $240. The prius bluetooth setup was flawless.

2. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Was that With or Without a required contract?

3. Lectricar

Lectricar New Member

with. Added it to my "family plan" my daughter wanted a phone and service on my "grandfathered" plan is just under $10 a month...two birds, one stone.

4. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    So did they make you extend the contract term? Usually they try to make that a "New Contract" and get you on the hook for another two years.

5. Lectricar

Lectricar New Member

Yes they did. but, it's not a problem as I use the service for my work - you have to be connected to somebody, unless of course you have a WIFI internet phone and lots of access points...face it, the cellular suppliers are all bad. I've had a cellular phone for over 14 years and one is just as bad as another.

The only saving grace is that my plan is exceptionally cheap and it's one that they discontinued shortly after its rollout...

6. billyb

billyb New Member

Verizon 710

I also got mine at Radioshack but am having problems getting my entries from the phone book in the V710 transferred to the Pruis . Can you help. What about an audible signal from the Nav Lady indicating an Incoming Call. Any help would be appreciated. :( Is there a way to get entries into my empty phonebook ??

7. Lectricar

Lectricar New Member

Well, it looks like the V710 phonebook cannot be transfered into the Prius...after trying, I did some internet researach (for what that is worth) and encountered threads asserting that the protocalls are different.

8. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Verizon removed any functionality that would compete with their Get It Now download service. One I will refuse to use if I ever get a phone that works with it...

Update:

Well, it has been reported that Motorola is taking the blame for any early V710 problems. Supposedly the phonebook issue will be resolved, but not everybody believes that what is being posted will turn out that way. An update to the phone will supposedly be done in time for sales at the Verizon stores...

9. billyb

billyb New Member

Problems Verizon V710

Hi
    I guess the phone is not compatible with the Prius. Too bad because I like the phone. I don't mind so much that I can't tranfer the phonebook to the prius if only I could figure out how to manually get the entries into the empty Prius phone book. Any Ideas. I'm connected so that an incoming call comes through (Although there is no audible signal of incoming) and I can communicate fine. I guess I have to get a refund from Radio Shack. Any Ideas out there.
    billyb

10. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Re: Problems Verizon V710

So far, the problem of the phonebook will require you to find the NAV manual that came with the car and see how to do it by hand.

The lack of an incoming ring is odd. Does the phone ring when not near the car, but stop ringing once you are close enough to make a Bluetooth connection? Maybe there's a silent mode that was turned on? Otherwise, I'd complain to Verizon about a programming change they need to make...

11. Lectricar

Lectricar New Member

Found and used the NAV manual...it appears that it can't be done "by hand"....phone rings when not in the car....I'm going to check with Motorola tomorrow.

12. billyb

billyb New Member

Problems Verizon V710

to Mikepaul and lectricar
    Yes the Phone rings fine until there is a bluetooth connection to the prius. I guess the connection disables the ring. If there is an incoming call while you are listening to the radio or a CD the audio is silenced and a message appears on the display indicating you have an incoming call. that works fine as the silence causes you to look at the screen and then you press the phone connection on the wheel and all goes well thru the pruis speakers and microphone. The problem come when you get an incoming call and you are not listening to any audio and have your eyes on the road. You will miss the incoming visual message and lose the call. I still haven't figured out a way to get phone numbers in the phone book I managed to somehow get one number in one of the 3 one touchdialing places although i couldnt repeat what I did. I was able to dial that number but only when the car was stopped. That means you cant make any outgoin calls from the Nav system while driving. You can bypass it by connecting from the V710. as soon as you hit the send button on the V710 it automatically connects the sound to the Pruis speakers which is Ok I guess. I'm waiting to get a reply from Motorola . Will advise
    Billyb

13. Hybred

Hybred New Member

planning on buying a V710 but..

If transfer is not allowed, and you can't even hand enter it via the MFD, and there is no audible ring tone I'm thinking I'll either wait for a month until they do a software update or just go with TMobile. Very frustrating that with Verizon's first (well technically second) bluetooth phone and they can't execute well enough to make even the most basic compatibilities possible. bleh. :pukeright:

14. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Re: Problems Verizon V710

Umm, I can live with that idea I guess, since only when I thought I'd heard a beep did I turn off the audio the other day. Otherwise, there'd be a HUGE volume drop when a call comes in.

But it is lame, since I don't think anyone else has said a different Bluetooth phone doesn't ring while linked...

15. Lectricar

Lectricar New Member

Spoke with Tracy of Motorola this afternoon about the problem. She is contacting the motorola engineers and she said that she will call me tomorrow about the lack of an incomming call ring and the phonebook issue.

16. Lectricar

Lectricar New Member

Tracy called back to advise that Motorola plans a software update in September...

17. trapperjohn

trapperjohn Junior Member

I was wondering when you do make a connection does the person on the other end of the phone call come through all the speakers in the car?

Also how is the sound quality assuming you have a good signal?

Thanks alot,
    Bryan

18. billyb

billyb New Member

Verizon V710- Good news Bad News

Ok heres the scoop
    Good News- The phone has lots of nice features and the reception and clarity of sound is better than anything i've had in the past. Everyone I call
    directly from the phone says it sounds great and they cannot tell the difference from a land line. The camera works well and there is a difference in the quality when you change to the highest resolution setting. Its very cool when you get an incoming call and see the picture of the caller on the phone cover.There's an abundance of sound settings and alerts and the volume can be set very loud. The speakerphone works great and is a very good feature that I find very useful when you are at a desk or want to conference with other people in the same room.The speaker sound was surprisingly good. It is however automatically disabled when connected with the Prius bluetooth. The phone has lots of "toys" some useful. I used the alarm to wake me this morning to an interesting tune of which there are many to choose from. It does make a connection with the Pruis pretty easily. Once set it works every time you have the phone on when you enter the pruis and power up. There is an indication of the successful connection on the display screen. Given the limitations below(see BAD ) the phone reception is usually pretty good and the incoming sound just comes through the little speaker next to the driver.The sound is not as clear as my previous car phone which was wired directly into my Lexes suv. It is however pretty good and only occassionly sounds muffled. On the whole I think the phone is pretty good and the advantages outweigh the disadvantages.
    BAD 1- While you can punch in the number you want to call on the phone display and be successfully connected ,I have not been able to get any names and numbers transferred from the V710 into the Pruis. I have not even been able to manually enter any into the Pruis. I have succeeded in entering numbers into the three "One Touch Dial" directories which can hold a total of 18 numbers only ( No names) It is a little complicated to do as you have to do it from your Paris incoming or outgoing call list. If anyone has trouble with this and you want the steps, let me know and I will list them in detail. There is a way of seeing names if you enter them in the Nave system's MY Places . When entering an address be sure to put in the phone number. That way when you push the "INFO" button you see the phone number and when you press the green phone it will dial out and connect to the Pruis phone.
    Bad 2- The ring sound is disabled when connected to the Prius. The nav lady does not come on to announce you have an incoming call. If you are listening to your radio or CD the sound is silenced and a message appears on the display indicating you have an incoming call which is OK because the audio silence alerts you to look at the screen. If, however, You are driving with no audio and watching the road you may not notice the incoming call screen and will miss the call. That is NO GOOD :(
    On the whole I like the phone. I have seen other "threads" which state that Motorola will have a software upgrade for these problems so I'll hang on for a while.
    I would be interested in hearing from anyone with similar problems or more importantly a fix or suggestion for these problems
    billyb

19. Ron K

Ron K Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you know if the software updates will be available for the V600, the Motorola phone that came out just before the 710?

Ron

20. wesj49

wesj49 Junior Member

Phonebook transfer

If its any consolation, I have been able to transfer an Outlook Express Address book into the Prius Phonebook. I download my wife's list from her old phone onto my bluetooth enabled laptop and into Outlook Express. The Prius phone system paired with the laptop and allowed transfer of the Address book.