1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bluetooth installed in '04

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by robertdz, Aug 1, 2006.

1. robertdz

robertdz New Member

It’s done. No surprises. I’ve added a Bluetooth hands-free kit to my ’04 Prius. In the same project I also installed the DICE iPod interface. The phone kit is a Parrot CK3100 coupled with a QuickConnect QC Toy1 harness adapter (the harness adapter is pretty much required. I would not recommend attempting the installation without it unless you are an EE). The phone I’m pairing is a Razr V3 with Cingular service. My Prius has the standard (non-amplified) radio and no disc changer. The only options present are VSC, Smart entry and start, HID fog lights, and floor mats.

I installed the Parrot microphone in the overhead compartment. This location is not necessary for the installation, but is my choice for what I feel is a “clean†install. I mounted the microphone at the extreme forward edge of the overhead. I’m pleased with its unobtrusive and stock look.

I posted a week or so ago asking if the Toyota factory microphones were present even if the vehicle didn’t include that option. The microphones are NOT there, but the wiring is. However, it was easier to route the given microphone wire than to splice into the wiring harness. The lead Prius mechanic at my local dealer gets many kudos for searching the wiring schematic to locate the wires and connectors for the microphones. He printed the appropriate portion of the schematic and the connector diagrams (even though I ended up not using). He also gave me insight to removing the “A-pillar†cover and the headliner.

Very Important: Given very little instruction to what comes apart and when, the interior of this vehicle comes apart easily. The “A-pillar†cover simply pulls out. It has only one gotch-ya anchor near the top. The anchor allows the cover to be partially removed, but the anchor must be rotated 90˚ before completely removing the cover. The headliner does not need to be completely removed, just dropped a couple inches on one side. Just detach at the left sun visor, the left hand grab, and at the overhead compartment. An excellent and indispensable resource for the interior disassembly comes from Chris Dragon. His instructions can be found at
    http://www.chrisdragon.com/downloads/Stere...us,%20v1.03.pdf

There are no wires to splice, cut, or alter using the QuickConnect harness adapter. There ARE some superfluous wires and connectors available for other vehicles/equipment, but are easily identified and isolated (the superfluous connectors being for the iPod interface). I found a hidden spot below the radio to drill and mount the Parrot black box (actually blue). The yards of wires and connectors are easily stowed below and forward of the radio.

I chose to put the phone interface display/control unit behind the door in the little convenience compartment below the radio. This was the most difficult part of the installation. Again, this is not required. The Parrot kit comes with multiple styles of brackets that most sane people will use to mount their unit in plain sight in just about any orientation. That being too easy, I wanted to hide the display in a place too small for any of the supplied bracketry. It works, I accomplished what I wanted. However, I had to fabricate my own simple bracket from sheet metal.

With the project finished (5 ½ hours) and the display door closed, the only sign that this vehicle has been altered is the little black microphone discreetly attached near the windshield just behind the rear view mirror. With voice commands programmed, you don’t even have to open the little door to access the Bluetooth interface. However, when you do need to access the controller its at your fingertips, easily seen, and looks clean. I’m sure it would be more ergonomic to mount the display higher on top the dash in line of sight. However, with my usage and with voice commands I’m happy where it is.

If you go to the Parrot postings there will be much discussion about features, bugs, phone compatibility and firmware revision. My unit shipped with firmware version 4.13c and works fine out of the box. No fuss, no muss, no confusion. It just works. I’ve paired our two six-month-old Razr V3 phones and it seamlessly switches between the two. Our contacts and voice commands follow each phone. I didn’t think I’d be using voice commands (too geeky/nerdy), but they really do work and it does make hands-free operation while driving less distracting. I even found that I could operate my wife’s phone with my voice using her commands that she recorded (she has a smooth radio voice and I sound like an old Clint Eastwood).

I think this could be done by someone with a fair amount of mechanical aptitude and attention to detail. I’m not an electrical engineer or auto mechanic. However, it is not for the feint of heart. My wife got seriously panicked at the sight of our Prius’ guts exposed and hanging out. Learn from all the experiences you can find online. One careless slip and you could have a dead vehicle. Because of plentiful existing information, I didn’t take any project photos. However, e-mail me if you’d like to see the finished product or have any questions and I’ll be happy to oblige.

Cheers,
    Rob