1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bluetooth Issues

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by mboileau, Mar 18, 2004.

1. mboileau

mboileau New Member

Okay, I have the Bluetooth phone option and have a Sony-Ericsson T616 (officially Toyota sanctioned phone), and I've had no problems with the setup, phone book transfer, making calls or answering calls. I do, however, have a problem actually *talking* to someone. Several other people have commented on how the sound seems to cut in and out to the person on the other end. The same thing is happening to me, but so far only when I've been talking to someone who is also on a cell phone.

Both the Prius Owner's Manual and the T616 Manual say that Bluetooth connections will cut out if there is sound on both sides of the link at the same time. Apparently, this is only a half-duplex connection. Since the stereo mutes automatically, the windows are all the way up, and the fan is on low, I don't have a noise problem on my end, but it's impossible for someone on the other end using a cell phone in public to keep the background quiet. So ultimately, they only hear about 1 out of 5 words that I say because their background noise is jamming the signal.

There has to be a way to solve this problem. Most everyone I know has a cell phone and that's usually where I end up calling them. If this can't be resolved, then the Bluetooth capability is basically useless.

I'd like to be able to choose between enabling/disabling the Bluetooth hands-free at any given time so I can switch back to the handset if the call starts to cut out, but I can't seem to figure out how to do that. Once the Prius establishes the network connection, the only way to stop it is to turn off the car or the phone, or delete the phone setting completely. I tried the 'Hide Visibility' option on the T616, but that doesn't work once the connection is established.

Any help would be appreciated!

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The only thing I know of that might help you out is to reduce the speaker volume for the incoming call. I leave mine on 3 or 4 dashes adjusting as needed depending on the incoming volume and ambient noise.

There are also adjustments to gain and some other stuff that can be accessed via the hidden 'diagnostics menu', but I haven't tried accessing those and can't comment directly on the effect they would have.

3. mboileau

mboileau New Member

Thanks for the suggestion. I've set the call volume down to three bars, but still no success.

I'm intrigued by the 'hidden diagnostic' menu reference. I had this in my last car, and it was accessed by pressing three buttons at the same time and entering a passcode. Do you know how to get into the menu on the Prius? I'm daring....

4. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Start the Prius.
    While pressing and holding â€INFO†switch, operate light control switch, OFF, TAIL, OFF, TAIL, OFF, TAIL, OFF.

The diagnostic mode starts and the service check screen (â€System Check Modeâ€) will be displayed. Service inspection starts automatically and the result will be displayed after a short pause.

You’ll be able to see how many satellites are currently being received as well as Greenwich Mean Time, among other things.

Press “Menu†to see the menu.

To exit either turn the power switch off, or press the â€DISPLAY†switch for 3 seconds.

I believe you can also get into diagnostic mode by a 'cheat' where you touch the screen.

Simply tap from the map screen, top-left, bottom-left, top-left, bottom-left, top-left, bottom-left. This will get you into the system screen for the NAV computer.

This may only be for the NAV though.

5. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  6. capudo

capudo New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i have a 2008 prius and my blackberry curved worked fine. i just bough the tour and it is not working. the phone recognizes the car, however my prius will not sync with my phone. any suggestions?