1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bluetooth issues

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Breedy00, May 4, 2012.

1. Breedy00

Breedy00 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hope someone can help. No luck searching the forum on this topic. I am the new owner of a 2008 with the package 6. Here's the issue, I don't have the phone icon on the info menu. But I can get to the phone by using the voice command "dial by name". I was able to pair my phone this way and it worked fine. Then today it stopped working. I have been troubleshooting and found out that I'm not able to delete any of the previous phones. The system just freezes at the "delete this phone" yes or no. I'm about to take it to the dealership, but was hoping for some help here first. Any ideas??? Thanks.

2. Breedy00

Breedy00 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Any chance it would be a software issue?

3. dianeinreno

dianeinreno Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There are only two possible things I can think of that an end user can do when you are faced with a MFD function crash like this:

1. Remove the MFD and reseat all the connectors - I only think there are one or two.

2. Disconnect the 12V battery for a few minutes and the reapply in an attempt to "reboot" the software and settings inside the MFD.

You can do either of those things yourself and see if things improve prior to taking it to the dealer.

4. Breedy00

Breedy00 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Diane,

Thanks for the tips. When I went out to continue troubleshooting this morning with your post in mind, the phone icon was on the info screen. First time in a week that I have seen it there. I have only had the car a week so far and I have a detailed maintenance history, but this might be the original 12v battery (2008 78,000 miles). I have read that a 12v battery that is due to be replaced can cause issues. Could that possibly be the culprit here? Thanks again.

5. HaroldW

HaroldW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It may be getting week! Check the voltage in the morning or after the car has sat for 12 -18 hrs with a Multi meter and if your voltage is still over 12v you should be good for awhile? H

6. dianeinreno

dianeinreno Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you do a forum search for "battery diagnostic" you'll find a procedure for determining if your battery is in spec. Do that procedure first and let us know what the result is.

With all due respect to Harold above, his answer will not really tell you if your battery is sub-par because it is not testing under load. Also it is not really testing the bus voltage so much as it is shorting the battery to test the shorted voltage across the terminals. The diagnostic procedure accessible from the MFD that I referred you to will test the battery under load. There is no need to use a multimeter as the MFD diagnostic procedure reads the battery bus voltage.

7. Breedy00

Breedy00 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So here we are two weeks later. I wanted to try to collect some more data in case something I come up with sparks an idea for someone reading. I sincerely appreciate all the help. This forum (along with others that I use) is a truly invaluable resource!

The phone icon and Bluetooth functionality has continued to come and go. It seems to happen in batches i.e. have it for several days and multiple trips and then lose it for several days. I have not been able to link the functionality, or lack thereof, to anything else in the car or my behavior, but who knows.

I did go into maintenance mode after the car has been off for about 5 hours and checked the 12v battery. Upon entering maintenance mode, the battery was at 11.8v and when put under load it dropped to 10.9v but that was without heater, defroster, lights, etc. However, when I let it charge for about 2 minutes and started over it was at 12.4 and dropped to 11.5 under load. So the battery is probably due for replacement. All other electrical systems seem to be A-OK.

Also, while in Maintenance mode the Audio indicated that it should be “Checked”. I pressed this button and it indicated Memory 63- 42 and it occurred on 11/06/04. Don’t know what that means?

I have been trying to do some more research about this to try to help solve it, but I really don’t see too many people with this issue. Is there a separate Bluetooth module somewhere? I had my Bluetooth module go bad in an Acura and it was replaced and fixed the issue. I just don’t know if the module is integrated into something else or separate?

Thanks again!

8. Breedy00

Breedy00 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, I'm starting to get frustrated. On my way home tonight I realized the drivers HID is out. Brights and regular. The blub on the park button is burned out as well as the drivers side license plate bulb. I'm starting to wonder what I got myself into here. Also, the AC fan on the passenger side is making noise.

It feels like there are some electrical gremlins here. All this is just too coincidental. Would appreciate your thoughts.

9. dianeinreno

dianeinreno Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The battery voltage that you reported of 10.9v clearly shows a battery in need of replacement. If you've searched through other threads then you already know that a bad battery causes all sorts of anomalous electrical problems. Replace the 12v battery and let us know if the problems go away. The suggested replacement battery is a yellow top optima battery which, if you do a forum search , can be found for under $200.