1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bluetooth Motorola V710 phone for Verizon due in August

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Johno, Jul 28, 2004.

1. Johno

Johno Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Finally a bluetooth ready phone for Verizon customers is due to be released in August. Check out this link,
    http://www.motorola.com/mdirect/hellomoto/.../homepage.shtml
    But will it work with the Prius? I would have to think that Toyota is updating their software as these new phones arrive.

2. tag

tag Senior Member

3. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I downloaded the manual before Motorola pulled it back off the dropdown, and only *1* page was for Bluetooth. Default PIN is 0000. Whoopie.

Looks like there's no phonebook transfer support, but lucky for me I know how to type...

4. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Bluetooth is a standard. If the phone complies to the standard, it should work. For the most part. There are 2 catches here...

1) The Prius itself ignores the standard when handling contact information. If you've got an elaborate phonebook which you share with outlook and the palm, the Prius will absolutely mangle it. Don't even bother. I know this from experience. :)

2) I've heard Verizon is "disabling" part of the Bluetooth on the V710... reason is, they only want you to use their accessories with it. I'm not sure what, if any, impact that would have.

5. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
  6. tag

tag Senior Member

Boy, it sure doesn't! It does say this, however:

Your phone supports Bluetooth® wireless connections.
    You can set up a wireless link with a Bluetooth-enabled headset accessory, speakerphone, or handsfree car kit.

Now, is that it? Does the statement indicate the phone only connects to the devices mentioned, nothing more? Are they planning to blithely inform customers, after the fact of course, that they need the 200 dollar car kit? :roll:

7. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Rumor has it, Verizon deleted any wireless functionality that would compete with their Get It Now service to transfer pictures and music. The level of Bluetooth support listed *should* allow a Prius to connect wirelessly.

When customers ask why their new phone can't do something, a Verizon pay-as-you-go service seems ready to fit the bill.

And no, since Verizon has tools to sync the phone to a computer, I don't think people are being warned that THAT is the solution they'll be needing, and not any Bluetooth trick that they might have been counting on.

Lucky for me, I want a *phone*...

8. billyb

billyb New Member

New Owner with V710 Bluetooth

Hi
    I live in Long Island NY , Have a new (under 2000 Mi) Silver Package #9 and purchased yesterday the Verizon 710 in Radio Shack. They just recieved them so while Verizon stores do not yet have them they are available at Radio Shack for $320 less 10 % if you use their credit card also less a $70 mail-in Rebate. If anyone is interested let me know and I will report back with how I made out trying to install itin the car. So far I like it as it's very clear and firly easy to use with lots of features.
    I love my new Prius, It is a terrific car I previouly had 2000 Lexus RX 300 Suv and had no problem getting use to the Prius. Look for me on the road. I'm easy to spot as my NY Plates say " A HYBRID "

9. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Re: New Owner with V710 Bluetooth

:clap: ME! I'm interested!

I can't get it 'cheap' until next March, but would like to know if it's worth getting. All features, not simply the phone, would be nice...

10. tag

tag Senior Member

Re: New Owner with V710 Bluetooth

So am I! Just for purposes of clarification, the $320 price at RS is with a one-year contract, right (otherwise, it's $520 without a contract)?

11. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
  12. tag

tag Senior Member

Yeah, I meant to say, "with a two-year contract". The VZW (advance) prices I've seen were $320/2 yr, 370/1yr, $420/no contract.

13. BlackbirdCPA

BlackbirdCPA New Member

Is there a way to get the address book in the Prius without being able to transfer it? I've never tried I guess. I had an Ericsson T616 with Cingular and I dumped it because I didn't get a signal with Cingular and I spent my time shouting "WHAT?!" as I was driving down the road only to hear "...ca...huh?...hear?" coming from my car. That phone had a camera and I can't imagine Cingular would want me to be able to transfer pictures off the phone for free which is why I imagine Verizon has disabled the OBEX. I was able to transfer my phone book from the T616 with no problem. Has anyone had any experience with any other phone? I have talked to Roy in inventory here at the Two Notch store in Columbia, SC. He told me today that the v710 was coming in on 8/4. he said they normally get emails about new phones on Friday afternoons (8/6) and that at that time they would demo the phones. His best guess was that they would be available for sale 8/8. I suspect that the 8/11 date might be a better estimate since 8/8 seems awful fast if they aren't demo'ing the phone until 8/6. I just really want to be sure it can be used with the Prius and that no functionality is lost.

14. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    That's good enough for me, too.

BTW, I've seen Silver and White cars driving around town. Which one are you driving?...

15. BlackbirdCPA

BlackbirdCPA New Member

Neither :) I have a red package 9, have had it since January. There is another blue one, it's owned by a friend of mine. There may be yet another blue one as well. There is if you're not an old retired guy :mrgreen: I saw him on the local news showing off his blue Prius. Hopefully we can find out about the v710 soon. I know some Radio Shacks have them in the stores now. None in Columbia but since I am elligible for the New Every Two $100 credit, I am waiting until Verizon has them in the stores.

16. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I had forgotten the Salsa one I saw one morning going up Two Notch, while I was on Trenholm waiting for the light. Nope, I'm not retired. Won't ever be able to afford it...

17. billyb

billyb New Member

V710 Bluetooth.

Hi
    So far I have been disappointed. I had a lot of trouble getting the Pruis and V710 to see each other but after many tries finally got them connected. After manually loading up my V710 phonebook I could not get it transferred to the Pruis. There seems to be no way of sending the phone book or even individual phone numbers to the Pruis. I can receive
    incoming calls, but I can only send outgoing calls by by manually putting the numbers on the Prius screen. One of my incoming calls was hard to understand since the sound was so muffled in the driver side speakers. Maybe just a bad area as other calls sounded ok and I was told my voice sounded like any other call from a car cell phone. Another troubling thing is that there seems to be no audible sound indicating an incoming call. Just a message on the display screen. If your eyes are on the road as they should be you can easilly miss the incoming call. You would thin the Nav Lady would announce it or at least here the sound from the V710 but that is disablled with the bluetooth connection. HELP :x :x . Anyone out there have some idea of what I may be doing wrong ??? The phone will be going back to Radio Shack unless these 2 issues can be resolved. It's gotta work better than this !!!
    Whats you think !!

Billtyb

18. Lectricar

Lectricar New Member

I have one on Verizon. It works.

19. billyb

billyb New Member

Verizon 710

Hi electricar
    You indicated that yours works. Can you help me and advise how you got the phone book in the V710 transfered to the Prius?? Also do you get any audible signal to tell you of an Incoming Call ?? Looking forward to you or anyone else helping me :( :(

20. Lectricar

Lectricar New Member

I'll play with it tomorrow and let you know about the phone book..mine's empty now. I did notice that it didn't give any audio notice of an incomming call....i'll check this out tomorrow.