1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bluetooth Music?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by VisualMonster, May 28, 2005.

1. VisualMonster

VisualMonster New Member

Has anyone used the Prius's Bluetooth capabilities to play music from a Pocket PC? Anyone know if this is even possible?

I have a Pocket PC phone (XDA IIs) and am planning on using the bluetooth phone feature... but was wondering if I would also be able to play MP3s from my PPC to the Prius?

I'd try it myself, but I wont be ordering my Prius for another week or two (and then I'll have to wait a while for it to arrive).

2. delrey

delrey Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Nope, it won't work. However, I do use a casette adpater to play MP3s on my treo 650. When a phone call comes in the player is paused, and it resumes again when the call is over. I'm sure you're would do the same.

If you don't have a cassette, you could use an FM modulator (I think that's what they're called) to play your tunes over FM - but the sound quality suffers that even I notice the difference (and I'm an audio-ignoramus).

P.S. If you use either type of adapter, you can improve the sound quality by turning your device sound down very low & turning the stereo volume up (rather than the other way around).

3. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    [font=Comic Sans MS:82ced4fc64]The BT sound output in the Prius is mono from the driver's door. Also, the BT profile in the Prius is old and dumb, I don't think you could get it to work as a sound output device.[/font:82ced4fc64]

4. BitShifter01

BitShifter01 New Member

The only BT profiles the Prius supports is the hands free and OBEX profiles. Getting streaming audio will not work from a bluetooth device to the Prius.

5. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    If I am not mistaken, OBEX is NOT one profile itself. OBEX is a group of three profiles...OPP (object push), FTP(file transfer), and SP (synchronization)

Some good read, but a bit technical..
    http://www.phptr.com/articles/article.asp?p=21336&rl=1
    (try Figure.1 & 2)

The Prius only supports HFP (hand-free profile) and OPP (as a client, not as server). The former is for conversation, ringing, etc. The latter is for receiving phone contact transfer.

Most laptops do not support HFP. I tried to pair my Vaio Z1 with Prius without any success. My Sony simply does not find Prius.

6. BitShifter01

BitShifter01 New Member

Actually, let me clarify. There are FIVE profiles that are associated with OBject EXchange profile (OBEX) not THREE.

File Transfer Profile
    Object Push Profile
    Synchronization Profile
    Basic Imaging Profile
    Basic Printing Profile

The last two are profiles are in their final stages of development.
    For those of you who may not be familiar with BT and that are interested, there is a great tutorial of BT.
    http://www.palowireless.com/infotooth/tuto...al/baseband.asp

Ceric, Have you ever done any development on a palm based application?

7. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    No, I haven't.

Well, the thing to look forward to is the SIM Access Profile that is available on VW Passat and new BMW 7. It will automatically synch with your phone book (etc.) when they are connected w/o your intervention.

8. BitShifter01

BitShifter01 New Member

That's cool about the BMW 7 series. I was trying to write a program to interface into the car but had very little success. When I pull up to my driveway I was going to have the car sync address book with my laptop using OBEX, but never worked.... BT is still very early in it's development, but finally catching on.