1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bluetooth Pairing with Multiple Phones

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by khagerman, Sep 22, 2007.

1. khagerman

khagerman New Member

Hi All,

Just got the Prius last night, trying to make it my own today.

Both hubby and I have same model cellphone. Are there any step-by-step instructions on pairing and identifying multiple phones? The owner's manual has NOTHING. I have found instructions on pairing one phone but nothing that specifically says how to take advantage of the fact that the car will happily pair with up to six devices and how to make those pairings unique so they can be identified in the future.

Any help will be greatly appreciated :)

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(geekmom @ Sep 22 2007, 04:29 PM) [snapback]516309[/snapback]</div>
    When you go through the set-up procedure it will become evident how to program more than one phone. Realize this, however. The car will only automatically connect to one phone. So, let's say your Husband drives the car 80% of the time. You'd hit the 'select phone' button and select his phone from the list after you've programmed them both in. Then it would automatically connect his phone every time he gets in. You phone will not automatically connect until you go back to the set-up menu and select your phone, it will then connect and work when you're in the car. He has to go through the same process the next time he gets in.

3. khagerman

khagerman New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Sep 22 2007, 03:33 PM) [snapback]516312[/snapback]</div>
    Hi Evan,

To me it is not obvious. When I go to Phone, there is an icon for bluetooth and an icon for switch phones. In the bluetooth area I can create a name and register BUT in the switch phone area the device names to select are Motorola and Motorola.

What I expect is, from the bluetooth area to set up two seperate named devices and then the switch phone area to show those two named devices------------and that is my puzzlement, they act as though the are independent of one another :(

4. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(geekmom @ Sep 22 2007, 04:49 PM) [snapback]516318[/snapback]</div>
    I'm sorry, let me see if I can clarify...
    1)Have you successfully programmed/connected both phones already and your only issue is that they are not clearly identified as 'his/hers' somehow?
    2)Do both phones work when the proper button is selected?
    3)Is there some other issue I'm not understanding?

5. khagerman

khagerman New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Sep 22 2007, 05:22 PM) [snapback]516340[/snapback]</div>
    Yep,

1) I have connected both phones
    2) It is not obvious which phone is active, in fact what I see is wrong

Let's say I am Susan and hubby is Sam. When I look at 'Switch phones' and select Sam (who does have a different passkey from Susan) then it says it is happy but when I look at bluetooth, it shows Susan as active, not Sam.

I have not tried yet to use the phones, the setup just looks wrong to me, shouldn't I be able to pick a phone and it shows as the one that is shown active in Bluetooth.

At this point, I'd settle for a decent manual.......................

6. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(geekmom @ Sep 22 2007, 06:42 PM) [snapback]516345[/snapback]</div>
    Ok, weird. I'd just try to use the phones, confirm that they work. I don't think a decent manual (which I don't blame you for wanting) would clarify much as the system is kinda goofy and frustrating even when you know what it's supposed to do.
    Good luck.

7. khagerman

khagerman New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Sep 22 2007, 05:46 PM) [snapback]516347[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for the help. We'll go driving this evening and see :)

8. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    We have our Prius paired with two identical phones, and it works just fine. To change which phone is being used, go to the phone/settings menu and press the select phone button. Make sure auto-connect is selected.

If all of that is working okay for you, but the system is showing funky names for the connected phone, go back and review the name information on your Bluetooth settings and make sure everything is named the way you think it is.

Tom

9. Tchou

Tchou Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(geekmom @ Sep 22 2007, 11:49 PM) [snapback]516318[/snapback]</div>
    Your issue is with the phones not the prius... in fact you can give a network device name to your phone, your phone is named motorola by default, but you have to name it with a name of your choice....
    name your huby's with another name, then pair them with the prius, you will see different names this time and it will be easier to see which phone is active...

10. desertbriez

desertbriez New Member

we have two identical phones paired with our prius.... first i renamed the phones to "susan's trax" and "sam's trax".... then i renamed the prius to.... PRIUS....

then i paired the phone!

works perfectly! (worked the same way when we both had razr's)

11. khagerman

khagerman New Member

Tchou and desertbriez,

Thanks for the suggestions, will try this pm :)

12. wiggleman

wiggleman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I will try something this weekend. I'll pair PIP with two phones. Then I'll turn off bluetooth on the one I don't want to connect to. I want to see if PIP will automatically connect to the one that's open.