1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bluetooth questions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by mikepaul, May 16, 2005.

1. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    1) What does one see on the MFD when Bluetooth sends signal strength properly from the phone? Using a Nokia 6230, all I see is a 'cell tower' but no indication of bars.

2) I heard a 'tone' a couple of times this morning, coming only from the left side of the car like cell audio does. Is the signal gain/loss alert passed through Bluetooth, so I'm hearing when I can and can't use the phone? I looked at the phone info after hearing it, but didn't see anything that told me calling/receiving was unavailable.

3) Is anyone aware of the setting in the phone (not specifically a 6230) to send a different ringtone to the car? I know I should be happy the car rings at all, but I'd like to use a MP3 and don't know what to change...

2. jrfaris

jrfaris Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    1. Our Treo 650 behaves the same way. The signal strength is not transferred to the MFD.
    2. When we lose the signal, the tower in the MFD changes to something like Out of Range. I don't remember any associated tone but could be wrong.
    3. I don't think there is any way to get the car kit to accept new ring tones.

Sorry, but Toyota's implementation of bluetooth is pretty basic and I believe uses older BT specifications.

3. tag

tag Senior Member

I have a V710 and the signal strength (bars) is displayed on the MFD. Can't transfer the phonebook on my V710 to the car, though.............................want to trade? :lol:

4. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Noooooo, no trade here, Verizon account closed when phone number ported. But where are the bars: next to the 'cell tower', where I just see a space?

Did find one answer, but developed another question. Assigning each phonebook entry to a group, then assigning each group a MP3 ringtone causes that MP3 to play through the car's audio, but there's a small delay while the audio gets redirected to the car. The 6230 plays the tune to start, then they both play. Didn't notice if any mute of the speakers kicked in first or not, but the whole MP3 doesn't go to the car no matter how I tried. Not sure I want to miss the first few seconds of a ring to have it delay so the car plays the whole thing, since I'm almost never in the car when somebody calls (up to now).

4) Anyone with a Nokia 6230 (or other Nokia that does the same) know how to get the phone speaker to never play the ringtone when in a Bluetooth connection, but just push it through via Bluetooth? I'd like to waste less phone battery and let the car handle the job...

Like the camera, too...

5. tag

tag Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mikepaul\";p=\"90068)</div>
    Yes, right next to that tower thingy.

6. Robert Taylor

Robert Taylor New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mikepaul\";p=\"89977)</div>
    RE: the "ring tone"...I do not know of its origins, the manual states that various shutdown noises will be heard. Don't worry about it though.

RE: ring tones. There is a default ring tone for the Bluetooth system, there exists no owners manual method to load different ring tones

RE: Bluetooth signal quality. Get one or two of the "internal antenna boosters" for your cell phone, install them correctly. They claim to jump the signal one bar, its true, it does. Place your phone in one of the forward console cupholders, and charge it as you drive. Leaving the phone in a purse, pocket, or holder means that it is having the signal smothered.

You can do some Bluetooth tuning once you get the aforegoing accomplished. Hold the info button down while turning the parking lights on and off three times. You then get into a special set of menus, you can lower or raise the microphone, speakers to balance out the system.

PS: Bluetooth systems need full charges, it drains the cell much more quickly to be Bluetooth enabled. Hook that puppy to the charger and put it into the forward console cupholder.

7. Robert Taylor

Robert Taylor New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tag\";p=\"89997)</div>
    Transfer from Verizon to Cingular or T-Mobile. The Razr V3 is a quantum leap above the highest end Moto cell/Verizon service I had.

Holy smokes, I forgot something all you Verizon users need to know. Verizon detunes the entire Bluetooth so that you get poor service on anything other than a headset!

No fooling, they deliberatly keep you from using a Bluetooth cell in a car or laptop as best as they can.

Get rid of those turkeys! I did.

(I have NEVER had a company lie more to me than Verizon has.)

8. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Robert Taylor\";p=\"90216)</div>
    Thanks. Couldn't remember the steps. This is something I need to do, to see if I can iron out the 'tinny' transmit quality...

9. mike_mccracker

mike_mccracker New Member

My Treo 650 does not report signal strength... it's not that it's smothered, it's just not telling the car how much signal it has. I've verified this on a number of occasions, checking the phone to see 5 bars and the Prius still shows zero, I think it's just an implementation detail.