1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bluetooth song info no longer displayed and steering controls stopped working

Discussion in 'Prius v Audio and Electronics' started by Damon P, May 27, 2019.

1. Damon P

Damon P New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    All of a sudden yesterday song info stopped playing and I can no longer skip tracks with the steering wheel control pad ..
    I removed and re-paired my phone and same thing.
    Any idea how to fix this?

2. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Bluetooth or USB source? If BT, there is reportedly a ‘BT Reset to Factory Settings” on the BT setup screen.

3. Damon P

Damon P New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Bluetooth... I'll try that

4. Damon P

Damon P New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Nope... did not resolve it. :(
    I have a feeling that since I installed entune on my phone it has been changing the functionality of my unit... all for the worse.

5. Offline

Offline Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    What are you streaming from over Bluetooth? I assume it is a particular phone app. And from what type of phone is your "unit"? Failure of song information to display and the steering wheel buttons to not skip tracks can be a phone application problem. For example, there was a period a few years back (in 2014?) when the Pandora app on Android (outside of Entune) stopped working with some or maybe all Toyota audio systems - I never found out the extent of the problem but the Pandora people replied when I complained that it was a recently reduced bug that was going to be fixed. Pandora continued to work properly within Entune but not when streamed from the Pandora app outside Entune.

If it is a particular phone app you are streaming from, check to see when it was last updated.

Nice avatar photo! The woman in the photo looks like my sister - that's her natural expression or at least the one she has when she's around me.

Edit: I should have said: The Pandora app continued to play over Bluetooth but no longer displayed song information or allowed skipping songs during the time it bug-ie with Toyota systems a few years ago.

#5 Offline, May 28, 2019
    Last edited: May 28, 2019
    Damon P likes this.
  6. Damon P

Damon P New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    The streaming app is Google play music, last updated may 9th

7. Offline

Offline Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Are other stream apps properly displaying song information on the in-dash screen?

I use several music streaming services but not Google Play music. Occasionally there's a lag in displaying song information on the in-dash screens of our Sienna and Prius when streaming or sometimes information for a song never displays at all but I can still skip with the steering wheel buttons. Usually song information for the next song will display. I've assume that this is a phone or phone app problem since behavior is consistent in multiple vehicles.

Does your Google Play music display song information in other vehicles?

8. Mark Carnahan

Mark Carnahan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Same problem just occurred. Streaming Pandora and Youtube and neither will display song info. All is shows now is an icon of the phone and another of the display with the word "connected" under it. Music plays fine but I only get the play and pause controls. No changes were made to the phone.
    2017 Prius 2

9. Cassidy S

Cassidy S New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Were you able to get this to be fixed? This just happened to me exactly yesterday and I can't get to seen to get it to change. Re-paired Bluetooth connection both from phone and car but no change. Checked permissions on the app I'm using (YouTube music on Android) but no change when everything was enabled.

10. gromittoo

gromittoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Here are few questions I am surprised nobody asked:

1) Is this problem in fact on a Prius v, and not some other Prius? We get mis-postings often here in the Prius v forum, and it gets confusing. No need to apologize if it is a mis-post, it happens. The Prius V units are different from the other Prius models, and it gets confusing.

Assuming Prius v (or Prius + or Alpha outside North America), there are other questions:
    Question 2: Do you see song info and Poster art on HD radio? The same song info and poster art database is used for both (Gracenote?). Do the steering wheel controls work on FM radio?

Question 3) Is this happening on a "Pre-Facelift" (2012 -2014) or a "Facelift" unit (2015-2018)?. The units are very different.
    - The Pre-facelift model has a faceplate ID of 5701x. The top half of the unit (the part you can see) is made by Panasonic, and uses an expansion box manufactured by Harmon. The Harmon boxes handle the Bluetooth, and are known to have issues. There are secret menus to reset the Harmon box, and software updates as well. Expansion Box replacement, is the real solution.
    - The "Facelift" are much better units hand on the Prius V have faceplate numbers 510xxx. The top half of the unit is also made by Panasonic, and uses an expansion box manufactured by somebody else (Pioneer?). These have less problems, as generally nicer. A reset and or Software Update may be in order. Also, the Gracenote database maybe related to poster art and song info, and if corrupted, would cause problems. You can get that update for free on Toyota's site. I saw someone put up the link in a recent post. If you can't find it, I'll try to dig it up.