1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bluetooth with Prius and Earpice at same time?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by DocVijay, Oct 13, 2005.

1. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Ther are plenty of posts on the sound quality of the Prius Bluetooth, and about how you must alternate speaking (not full duplex). What I was wondering is can I use my existing earpiece AND have the phone linked to the Prius? That way caller ID would show upon the screen and so on, but I could then just push the button on my earpiece to answer. Or better yet, push the steering wheel button to answer the phone and still use the earpiece. It's very comfortable and it's full duplex, so no walkie-talkie conversations.

Anyone know?

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm pretty sure there's no way to attach the phone to more than one device at a time.

3. jayselle

jayselle Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The car would be attached to the phone and headset. Phone is still attached to one device.

The question is whether or not the Prius can handle multiple connections. A bluetooth adapter on a computer can handle multiple connections at once.

My guess would be no. Since a headset will connect directly to the phone the only point is to have caller ID on the MFD.

4. aka007ii

aka007ii New Member

I don't know if this will help but I've noticed that my Sony T608 only sends the call to the Prius speaker and mic when I'm parked. When I'm driving I must use the handset but the call still shows up on the MFD and mutes the stereo for me. Although I haven't tried using my Jabra ear piece in the car I bet it would work perfectly for what you want. I'm thinking as long as you have the car and ear piece paired with the phone and only the phone paired with the car it all should work. When you are parked the car's hands-free system takes the call and when driving the ear piece does. Well, now that I said that I'm betting a conflict when parked. I need to try this out myself. I always just keep the ear piece in my office.

If the car is supposed to always use it's hands-free system (even when driving) can someone let me know. I've tried pairing with a few different profiles and it just doesn't always work but I remember it did once. I don't know! :(

5. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Each phone works a bit different. For example, I have an unhacked Motorola e815 (no BT headphone) with Verizon. If I get a call when driving, the ring comes from the phone only, and there is nothing on the MFD. If I press the phone button on the steering wheel, the audio mutes and I can have a hands-free conversation.

6. aka007ii

aka007ii New Member

I feel silly holding my phone while driving when I paid 30K for a car with BT. Not too many people here using my phone since it's old and barbaric. "Anyone out there with T608" please hear me. If I can't get it to work properly I have to get another phone and send this $350 phone that freezes all the time to the tar pits.

7. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Hmmm. Well maybe I'll just have to try it when I finally get my Prius. I love my Treo 650, so I won't be giving that up. If it doesn;t work, I'll just forego the Prius's Bluetooth and just use my earpiece.

8. mitchbf

mitchbf New Member

I have gotten in my car with my bluetooth headset linked to my RAZR. Interestingly, the PRIUS "steals" my connection. So, at least with my setup, all Motorola, you cannot have both systems linked simultaneously.