1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

bluish-whitish stains on interior surfaces

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by edjusted, Apr 6, 2011.

1. edjusted

edjusted New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I've got a 2008 Prius and since day 1, have had problems with these bluish-whitish stains on the interior surfaces. It shows up on the plastic on the doors and on the arm rests and even on the seats, basically anywhere that touches anyone's skin. It's really hard to clean. I've used all sorts of cleaning products.

My questions are, Is this a typical Prius "issue"? I've never noticed this on any other car. Is there some cleaning product that I should use to clean these stains? And is there anything I can use/do to help prevent this in the future?

image 21.jpg

image 59.jpg

2. danvee

danvee Blizzard Brigadier

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm not too familiar with the GenII Prii. Is the surface fairly rough? If so, it may be abraded skin cells. Very much like a fine powder down in the texture of the plastic.
    If it's a hard plastic/vinyl surface, simple detergent and water with a soft brush (like a "soft" toothbrush) should work, and then a quick treatment with your favorite vinyl protectant.

Otherwise, I'm puzzled, too......:eek:

3. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    This looks like the suntan lotion my wife got on her 2008. Everything she touched had a white stain.

4. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    edjusted,

You don't say where you're from.

Any chance Bill Clinton and/or Monica has borrowed your car? :p

Maybe there's a teenage driver in the family?
    Could be time for the old birds and the bees discussion...
    Springtime and all that. :rolleyes:

5. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Rokeby that's gross :)

Edjusted: Does this happen with anyone's skin? Passengers too? I think if its just you and possibly your immediate family then there could be a problem due to your skin, or products you may have put on your skin, or potentially sweat that the interior does not like.

To me it just looks like dead skin scraped off on the interior since there is some evidence of scuff pattern, but then it shouldn't be too difficult to clean off with something wet. Since you say that you've used all sorts of cleaning products... could it possibly be that the interior has actually had a chemical reaction and discolored? It's possible... in this scenario though, you wouldn't see any improvement or reversal to the original color no matter how hard you try to clean.

6. mikewithaprius

mikewithaprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Smurfs. I will say no more.

7. Dusty Chips

Dusty Chips New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model: