1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

BMW hybrid sports car for Frankfurt

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Wooski, Aug 30, 2009.

1. Wooski

Wooski New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    BMW is to show a hybrid sports car at Frankfurt called the Vision Efficient Dynamics concept.

We are talking a 1.5 litre, 3 cyclinder diesal turbo engine producing 163bhp and 214lbft torque. It then has 2 electric motors. The one driving the rear wheels has 34bhp and 214lbft and the front one 80bhp and 162lbft torque. Overall the rating is 356bhp and 590lbft. The car weighs just 1395kg and has Lithium Ion batteries that can also be plugged in and charged. In pure EV mode the range is 31 miles, with another 400 available from diesal power. Drag is just 0.22 Cd.

Euro CO2 emissions are 99g/km (current 17" wheeled Prius is 92g), combined fuel of 75.1mpg (better than the 70mpg of the 17" wheeled Prius). However 0-60mph in 4.8sec with a top speed of 155mph is certainly in a whole other league to the Prius.

With even BMW getting in on the act - you can see that hybrid technology is going to go mainstream.

More from Autocar - Autocar - BMW's eco sports car concept

Better pics at CAR - BMW Vision EfficientDynamics concept sports car | Automotive & Motoring News | Car Magazine Online

2. zencat

zencat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Nice!

Having come to the Prius from a BMW, I look forward to BMW getting into the hybrid/electric game. Not sure if I'd go for this supercar, but if they produced a good practical Prius-like vehicle, they could win me back.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  4. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    SWEET !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

(I've always said that performance and environmentally friendly can co-exist. It's all about efficiency. The current amount of energy being regenerated by the Prius is far less than the amount of energy consumed by friction braking (for most Prius drivers). If they can boost the regen up to the point where the friction brakes are only needed to stop the car below 5mph, and they can make the motors for acceleration and drivetrain much more efficient, it would be possible to boost the acceleration of the Prius while still maintaining over 50mpg)

(And for PHEVs or full EVs, you just have to cover your entire house roof with solar panels and charge the car three times a day. But it is possible. It is very possible)

75mpg PHEV - This puts the pressure on Toyota! True or false?

5. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    True. Cause it's a stylish, cool sports car that just happens to get outstanding FE.

6. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Any idea about the cost?

7. bluetwo

bluetwo Relevance is irrelevant

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, I like it. I think I'm starting to like this Efficient Dynamics hooplah now too.

8. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Probably $1M cause it's a concept car haha. I don't know if BMW is going to bring this into production or not.