1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

BMW Intros 40 mpg+ 328d

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by eheath, Mar 27, 2013.

1. eheath

eheath Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
  2. GasperG

GasperG Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks like the same version as Europe's 320d with 135 kW, why they named it 328d? To trick American customer into thinking that it's more than 1,995 cm3?

Anyway, in Europe you can get EfficientDynamic version of this same engine (320d) with a little less power (120 kW) and a little better fuel consumption (around 7% on NEDC).

It's funny how many European diesels come close to Prius in NEDC combined cycle (VW Passat, 320d, Mazda6), but on the EPA test they come way bellow Prius. This 135 kW version of 320d lags behind Prius on NEDC cycle only by 11 % (Prius is better only in the city), this would suggest 44 MPG combined, I'm verry curios to see EPA number.

3. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    BMW nice car until the Service Advisor hands you the repair estimate.

4. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    There is a supposed bias against diesels at the EPA. The cars tend to exceed their EPA numbers in the real world.

The main issue for the difference between the NEDC and EPA numbers is the stricter emission requirements. Once the tougher regulations go into effect for europe, I expect the differences will narrow.

5. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The future is not diesel. Diesel is dirty. The future is not gasoline.

EV us the future and clean power generation at the power plant. That is the future.

Europeans diesel is common. USA gas is common. One day both will transition. Maybe

6. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Modern diesel engines aren't much dirtier than gasoline ones which benefit from a couple decades more of emission control evolution. For some pollutants they leave the air cleaner than what went in.

EV has a long road ahead before going mainstream. Even with more market share, people will want an ICE car for the longer trips. It might be a plug in, but will still burn something.

EVs are even further off for long range trucking or special purpose vehicles. Natural gas might become the norm in those cases, but right now it is diesel. With the current fleet, a larger percentage of it can be replaced with biofuels than gasoline.

7. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

yep... they changed the numbers to 328d for exactly the same engine called 320d in Europe :).

And 328d will be nice highway cruiser at 75 MPG... but NEDC gives opporunity to these manufacturers to use start/stop to get incredible numbers that cant be reproduced in real life.

Combined for 320d will be less than 40 MPG, much less probably.

8. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

p.s. no doubt, 320d is considered the best diesel on market in Europe right now.

9. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I see a few NGC honda's out and about. My neighbor has one. NGC is common in County buses in California.

California State is giving the incentive for Utilities to use clean energy. Solar in the desert in catching on. Peak plants that run on natural gas.

One day gasoline and diesel cars will be history perhaps in our lifetime.

10. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I used to own a 2006 BMW purchased new from the dealer. Drove great. Absolute best car I ever drove.The repairs and upkeep were mind numbing. I sold it in 2012 for $16 K and never looked back.

If I ever buy one again it would be a lease and hand it in at the term end.

However it will be a long long long time because I need to forget those bills that silly car racked up and the damage done. BMW needs to get a grip on improving quality and reducing repair costs before I revist the Bimmer.

11. jameskatt

jameskatt Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Three reasons to call it the 328d rather than the 320d:

1. Cache. The BMW 320 is a beginner's and poor man's 300 series BMW compared to the BMW 328 or the 335.

2. Money. BMW USA is trying to squeeze more money out of its customers by giving the car a higher model number. The 320d was suppose to cost $32,000 - $36,000. The 328d will be closer to $44,000 - $52,000. That is a huge increase in profit for only a change in model number.

3. Competition. The 320d is suppose to compete against Mercedes-Benz's new entry model CLA250. By giving the car the higher 328d, it will be psychologically at a higher level than the CLA250.

Sergiospl likes this.
  12. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Exactly, the BMW 320i makes 180 hp, then 328i & 528i(now on sale) have 2.0 liter 4, the Mercedes C250 has a 1.8 liter 4. I wonder how much is paid just for perceived brand prestige. 2013 BMW 320i sedan makes American debut at Detroit auto show - Autoweek

13. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A

BMW Voted World's Most Valuable Car Brand
    BMW was the world's most valuable car brand in 2012. Toyota also has strong perceived brand prestige, but less than in it did in the past. People will pay a premium for bmw's and toyota's. BMW gets a premium especially in the 3 series, and this is because it created the catagory of sports sedan. It still does it better than anyone else, but audi and others have caught up. Toyota's best calling card's are the camry and prius.

I have nothing againt the naming conventions, putting in the number of decilitres(sp?) doesn't make as much sense when things are turbo charged and turbo gas liters and more powerful less efficient than turbo diesel liters.

Somehow, it is likely in the view point of americaon sports sedaness, 7 seconds to 60 is a little slow and the 328i or 335i(3 liter turbo di gas) seem much more what you want if you don't pony up the extra cash for the even better activehybrid 3 or M3. Car and driver wished bmw had used the 2 liter turbo gas as the base for a more efficient activehybrid 3. Still BMW has to meet cafe in the future, and there are suckers born every minute, so some will pay extra for the 328d. Lexus is not bringing over the ish, so those in america wanting a similar type car are left to choose the equally fast, ultra reliable, camry hybrid and give up steering feel and handing, or go even a little slower, and choose the less refined,slightly slow, but more tactile fusion hybrid. If the buyer wants a german feel the jetta hybrid is available. This is more a european car where tastes favor diesel, and I'm guessing a more stripped, lower priced 320d is available.

A Comeback Story for BMW's Diesel Sedans - NYTimes.com

14. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Makes me laugh. At least the Americans have access to what is probably the best diesel engine out there. Performance, economy and refinement (for a diesel).

And before our American friends mention smoky diesels because they remember a 1982 GM diesel. They're still not ideal, but much much improved. It's like saying petrol cars stink because I remember a 1978 Rover from the days before emission controls. Thirty years is a long time in the automotive world.

15. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Until this point, our only access to clean diesels has been the VW TDI. It has done much to change minds but the premium we pay for diesel (particularly in home heating season) still makes it a hard sell.

16. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    The black smoke I see is from old mercedes diesels and old diesel pick up trucks. The worst diesel pollution I see is from busses waiting on big events. I don't think people hold the soot against the new diesels, but something else is going on.

VW, which has the strongest presence in diesels in the US, has a poor reliability reputation.

The problem with this bmw 328d only seems to be cost. Its about $5000 more than a 320i, which is not a cheap car. The 328i has the same block as the 320i, but other changes to the engine to give it more power, and charges a premium, so with the power drop in the 328d compared to the 328i you have to ask who is going to drop fourty large. I'm sure some will buy this diesel, but the premium is higher in the US than the hybrid premium on toyota and ford cars (the 6 cylinder hihy and lexus cars need not apply).

The 328d sacrifices of its sport's sedan ness to get fuel economy. A little more compromise, a fwd layout would drop weight and cost, which should improve mpg city, and seem like a better fit. BWM seems to be working on that beast.

On the last bmw diesel it performed fine, but did not satisfy on fuel economy or price. This one seems to be great on fuel economy, but falls short on performance and price. In europe the diesel premium is less, perhaps because of higher volume and looser regulations along with a tax policy on diesel and gas.

Choice is good, and I'm glad bmw is bringing over their most efficient engine. I just can't get excited about it.

17. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    BMW isn't really premium here, the 3 series being the 5th best selling car in the UK. I think BMW US sell on being a sport brand only which is why they insist on calling this BMW 320d a BMW328d. If I were to choose another car instead of the Prius as a good all rounder, I'd choose the BMW 320d sportwagon. It's slightly more expensive but quicker than the Prius.

18. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    The numbers are all fiction anyway, with these turbo chargers. The 320i and 328i have the same blocks and direct injection but may have different pistons and software. Nothing really looks like it costs much more, but the 328i has sport sedan quickness the 320i does not. The 328d looks like a reasonable diesel premium if you compare it to the price of the 328i, but it is about the same power and acceleration of the $4000 less expensive 320i. Having worked with bmw in the past, I think they simply want you to compare pricing with the more expensive car.

How much does the prius and 320d avant cost over there? Is it euro 6? I know they are planning on importing the wagon here also.

19. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

only problem is that they call same car 320d in europe and 328d in US... if it is the same in both, it would be "fine".

engine itself is really good. i think it wont get that good mpg as in EU due to emissions... but it will still be top of the class easily.

20. jameskatt

jameskatt Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    BMW is playing the name game just like Toyota does.

After all, the Prius C is actually the Yaris Hybrid everywhere else in the world but the U.S.