1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

BMW Survivors

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by DaveinOlyWA, Jun 11, 2005.

1. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    This story should become a BMW add for occupant safety for its cars. In Olympia Friday night a BMW hit a parked VW Jetta. the 22 yr old occupant of the Jetta was killed instantly. The impact of the crash was so tremendous that it broke the beemer in half. Debris was scattered over nearly a quarter mile of the road.

Both 16 year old female occupants of the beemer were sent to the hosipital with non-life threatening injuries!! truly a huge amount of luck involved.

couple points to ponder here.

*obviously excessive speed played a part in the accident.

*concerning the 16 year old driver of the beemer who btw was enjoying day # 2 as a licensed driver, if she doesnt go to prison for what she did, she certainly will not be driving for a long long time.

2. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    you don't give a 16 year old a high performance BMW. she had to be traveling excess of 80 miles an hour to split that car i half. With a VW parked.... it had to be non highway. Soo... at least twice the speed of the law. That's tragic.

i see this all the time around here. No.. not excess speeding.. well.. i do see that.. but it's the young drivers driving these really expensive BMWs and really expensive Mercedes that are also really really fast cars. They are not good drivers either.

3. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well it was on Cooper Point Road and the speed on that road could have been 50 mph depending on location and i saw pics on the news. she had to be at least 100 mph. that fact that she survived tells me that she was saved for a purpose and she will most likely go to prison for vehicular manslaughter.

there has been a very lively debate as to whether 16 year olds are old enough to drive. this accident makes at least a half dozen in Thurston County with newly licensed drivers.

i can say for sure that i was not mature enough at 16 to drive. but i had an advantage. i got my license in rural area of Michigan. not many people around to hit. in todays traffic situation, i dont think i would have made it. as it was i had 2 speeding tickets for 100+ mph before my 18th birthday. was just a ticket back then... i should have been thrown in jail.

4. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    this is just my thought... but i think while learning to drive everyone should have an older car that has NO performance whatsoever.

then, once the kids learn to handle a car that isn't optimal performance, give them something INTERMEDIATE for a few years.

i think anyone below the age of 18, maybe even 20, should not have a new car and should definitely not have a high performance vehicle which can become a high performance projectile weapon with a moment's inattention.

i also believe in working for what you own. the american work ethic is gone if you ask me. maybe that makes me old fashioned. but 16 year olds belong in ****box cars, not shiny fancy cars given to them by mom and dad.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    16 year old is fine. Just no high performance or no fancy expensive cars. Granted, if the family was wealthy and their parents drive S-Classes to work, then a C-Class is considered 'basic' to them. But seriously, we need those with smaller, less powerful engines. My learner car was the (then) family Corolla LE. When we bought a new 02 Camry, my dad let me drive it but only because I was responsible.

If I was given a bimmer for my 16th b-day, I'd be scared.

First, I won't drive it cause I don't wanna look like some spoiled brat who got handed a new expensive car. If it was a new Echo, then fine. But definitely not a new bimmer

Second, I know better than to get a car that won't let me do stupid things when I'm not thinking properly.

6. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Should've threw these kids into a few hours of Gran Turismo to demonstrate what high-speeds does to tire-grip on any car.

Then, not allow the kids on the road until they can demonstrate controlled, responsible driving.

7. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    haha.

You know what happens when you get into a car? you drive. Know what happens when you speed?
    you die.

8. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee\";p=\"97660)</div>
    Well, a nice thought but young punks are just as dangerous behind the wheel of a s*** box as they are in a new car.

Why not just set the governor (Speed limiter, whatever) to 40 MPH for everybody under 20 years old? If they tamper with the limiter, life in jail with no parole.

When they turn 25, set the limiter to 55 MPH, which is what it should be for every vehicle out there. Except Ricers, they should have the limiter set to 15 MPH.

Last week a couple of Ricers here were racing down the main street, Portage Avenue. The posted limit is 60 km/h. They were going 130 km/h when they t-boned a woman on the way to get groceries, instantly killing her.

The goddam Ricer's comment? "She shouldn't have been there."

9. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm, that speed limiter thing is a good idea. I know there's one for valets. I remember the article was talking about the Jaguar XJ. This prevents valets from taking your car for joyrides.

10. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    geeus... hard to believe racers and their attitudes about having to "put up" with us normal people

11. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I was licensed at 18, though originally had a permit at 16 (grades weren't up to par to get my license before 18). My first car was a 69hp 1986 Nissan Pulsar. Living at 6800 feet reduced that significantly. Occasionally I'd borrow my mom's '91 Jeep Cherokee w/ the 4 Litre 190hp/230ft/lb torque w/ manual tranny. I was a lead foot, and that car, erm SUV, had more than enough power to get me into trouble. I generally wasn't allowed to drive it though, and for good reason - it had too much power for my skill, mentality, and experience at the time.

Now if only all parents were as insightful as mine, the BMW tragedy could have been prevented. Of course I went to school with kids with turbo-charged RX-7's and Corvettes. The Corvette driver ended up wrecking her first one, and her parents bought her another! Don't recall of anyone ever dying though, but the cars at the time (and today) are a huge temptation for dangerous situations to occur.

My kids will probably inherit one of our Prius if they're still alive and kicking (the cars) when they turn driving age. Economy plus lack of high speed power makes it perfect.

12. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well authorities plan to charge the girl with vehicular homicide. i doubt that they will get that but vehicular manslaughter should be a given. i work with the driver's aunt. she is as disgusted and sad as everyone else is.

the parents of the child are a nurse and doctor (explains the location of the crash. most of the houses in the neighborhood of the crash are high rent, perched on cliffs with breathtaking views of Puget Sound)

its sad that someone so young who was otherwise so responsible would make such a grave mistake. i cant help but wonder how much peer pressure had to do with this. sadly, the passenger will most likely get off scott-free.