1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

BMW unveils Electric Mini E USA

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by SyCo, Oct 20, 2008.

1. SyCo

SyCo Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    [​IMG]
    Read More

Cool and it's supposed to be "before the end of 2008" ;)

2. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    it will be a 2 seater because the back seat got to go for the big battery pack.. loaded upto the windows!!

3. Tickwood

Tickwood Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Does a 204 horsepower electric motor sound right? In a car that size an electric motor of of over 200 horsepower should be enough to send it into orbit

4. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I wonder how I could get to be one of the select private customers? :)

5. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have read that the battery pack for this car was being built by Tesla, which is
    having some problems. Nonetheless, this was said:

"...Tesla will focus its efforts on making the Roadster, which has a one-year
    waiting list. It will also increase power-train sales to other car companies, a
    business that Mr. Musk said was profitable."

in this article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/16/t...a.html?_r=2&th&emc=th&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

6. San_Carlos_Jeff

San_Carlos_Jeff Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll bet that if you have a 760 and M5 in the garage and express an interest in this Mini you'd end up on the "select" list.

7. EZW1

EZW1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Why do they always pick NY and LA? Just because they are the first two largest metro areas doesn't necessarily mean they are the right choice. I think they should roll it out where it will really get shaken out... like Phoenix. The summer heat here is a wonderful place to test your car.

8. Prius Maximus

Prius Maximus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The winter cold here in Chicagoland would be the best place to test an electric car. I commute 110 miles every day and hereby officially volunteer to be a private customer.

9. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

car will weight 3600lbs and will be going 0-60 in 8.5 seconds, and have only 2 seats. Thats the problem when you try to use chasis that was not designed for the task.

10. daeltos

daeltos Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    From what I read, one needs to have a garage (with locks) for the charging station in order to qualify. I guess I'm out. :( ... My other car is an '08 MINI but I wouldn't mind driving an all electric MINI.

11. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    I believe the chevy S10 ev's we used to lease here at work (a lot bigger than the mini) had less than 1/2 that much hp. So it sounds suspect to me as well.

12. mingoglia

mingoglia Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have a buddy with a M5, a M3, a 7 series, and a x3. I should ask him if he could get qualified.... well, I guess we're in AZ so that won't work.

13. nyty-nyt

nyty-nyt Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Has anyone ever driven a Mini? The Cooper S is a rocket, and gets great mileage.
    It's disappointing to see the big horsepower in the electric. They can't get their thinking around power, can they? An electric version doesn't need to compete with the ICE car for buyers. Acceleration has deepened the oil crisis with all car makers boosting horsepower to lure customers...just look at Nissan/Infiniti offerings. I would be more impressed if the Mini had been converted to a cute economical long-range electric vehicle. Maybe the back seat could have been saved.

14. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    BMW picked California because of CARB's ZEV mandate. It didn't completely die in 1998 but instead was pushed back 10 years and the number of vehicle required was cut almost to nothing. From motorauthority.com:

Mini will unveil an all-electric version of its two-door Cooper hatch at next month’s Los Angeles Auto Show, and plans to deliver an initial batch of 500 examples to customers in California towards the end of the year. BMW is using its Mini brand to test the waters with its electric powertrain technology but the vehicle was also developed in order to meet new California regulations that require carmakers to offer zero emission vehicles.

Mini ?E? electric vehicle revealed ahead of L.A. debut - [2010 Mini E] - MotorAuthority - Car news, reviews, spy shots

15. Genoz World

Genoz World ZEN-style living

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    BATTERIES ARE FOR FLASHLIGHTS!

Now, with that said and done, i applaud BMW for creating this. i hope it is successful for them. also, more should be made and hopefully the technology will advance to a point where electric cars will not need the necessity of being a plug in, yes........i want it all!

16. Winston

Winston Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Why is it dissappointing to see big horsepower in the electric? If you are thinking that bigger hp means less efficient, that is not correct. Electric motors are very efficient throughout thier load range.

17. hschuck

hschuck Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Actually the epa rates the mini S at 26/34. And, it requires premium fuel.

If you drive it like a rocket it will get significantly less (20-30%) than that.