1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

BMW X6 Active Hybrid cancelled with a quickness

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by cwerdna, Sep 20, 2011.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    BMW X6 Active Hybrid cancelled with a quickness
    If you didn't know, the above vehicle is EPA rated at 17 city/19 highway, 18 combined. Autoblog pegs it at $89,775 (bmwusa.com says $88,900). August 2011 Dashboard: Hybrid Sales Remain Sluggish | Hybrid Cars says they've only sold 35 in the US thru August 2011

Also, apparently, it uses the infamous two-mode system that was the result of the joint venture between GM, BMW and DaimlerChrysler (http://web.archive.org/web/20070814...mability/adv_tech/100_news/hybrid_090805.html).

FWIW, I personally find the X6 is a total styling fail and have wondered who'd buy something like that.

2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    oh boy:

yea . . . joint venture with GM (shaking head) . . . that was a costly lesson for BMW. So much for being the 'ultimate driving machine'.

3. dknight16

dknight16 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe it's because I am new here, but I don't understand the comments about the GM 2-mode drive unit. Granted it's installed in big vehicles, but it works exactly as intended. The BMW application is obviously a pig if the 2-mode only added 20% fuel economy improvement, but I thought the GM utilities got a nearly 50%? That's a serious improvement for a perfectly capable commercial vehicle. And yeah, I think using a pickup truck as a daily driving lifestyle vehicle for hauling nothing but a bed full of air is stupid.

BMW clearly had no intention of using the drive unit as an economy tool, rather they used the instant electric motor torque as a performance enhancer (like many of the luxury applications do). How is that GM's fault? Is someone suggesting the Prius system would have been better suited to this BMW application????

1 person likes this.
  4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yet the X6 Hybrid is their only full hybrid (The 7 Series Hybrid is a mild hybrid setup even though both the 7 and the X6 use the same hybrid moniker).

5. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Mercedes seemed to have killed their 2-mode ML too. BMW and Mercedes partnered with GM for this technology, and Mercedes has publicly said it is too expensive. Mercedes and BMW have partnered on lithium + small motor in the activehybrid 7 and S400, and are adding it to future cars with bigger motors. Porsche/VW have a large powerfull SUV hybrid to compete with the 2 mode Escalade/Yukon. I think the flywheel hybrid is the one BMW, Mercedes, Hyundai, Infiniti, etc are going to stick with. Toyota and Ford may come up with something good for rwd trucks and SUVs.

6. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I think you're off on regarding GM, lookup what the Chevy Tahoe hybrid and non-hybrid get on the EPA tests at Side-by-Side Comparison. The improvement in combined mileage is ~24%. The city improvement is ~33%.

7. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Global Hybrid Cooperation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia lists applications. I can't speak to the buses (but have seen some in Boston, complete w/large GM hybrid decals/art) but does the list of under RWD/4WD truck/suv seem complete? If so, it seems GM is the only one left. The Chrysler/Dodge products went away after only a few hundred were produced.

8. dknight16

dknight16 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was thinking of the Tahoe 4WD ratings of 14mpg City vs. 20mpg City which calcs out to 42.8%.

9. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Even here in Southern California, where we see every type of car, I still don't see many X6s. I'm guessing total sales of all X6s are less than stellar. I wouldn't be surprised if BMW announces in six months that they are discontinuing the entire X6 model.

10. dknight16

dknight16 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Aren't all of these single motors placed between the engine and a traditional transmission? Sort of like the Insight . . .

I don't know that I have seen any "powerful" German hybrids. More like short duration electric assist paired with a full size engine - thus little fuel economy improvement to show for it.

11. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

X6 sells great worldwide.

12. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    close. They have a traditional transmission instead of a cvt, and have a clutch to disconnect the motor from engine. Activehybrid 5 should be a full hybrid, meaning it can run on its electric motor alone.

I've seen a couple of activehybrid 7s, and one S400, no Lexus LS hybrid sitings here. Bmw went more horsepower, mercedes went more efficient with their flagships. BMW has 15% improvement, mercedes a little more. The trick is when they get them into smaller cars. Infiniti in the M hybrid does get significantly better mileage in this architecture, and its still a large high horsepower luxury car.

13. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    For the 2011 Tahoe 1500 4WD vs. Tahoe Hybrid, it's 15 mpg vs. 20 mpg city.

14. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I haven't seen many X6s either. BMW Group U.S. Reports August 2011 Sales -- WOODCLIFF LAKE, N.J., Sept. 1, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- shows they aren't selling in large numbers in the US.

I found the X6 to be very ugly and the X5 to be rather unappealing in terms of styling, w/some generations being ugly, IMHO.

1 person likes this.
  15. mmcdonal

mmcdonal Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    These larger vehicles are more suited to an air compressor hybrid system and maybe diesel (yeah, I said it.) Does anyone know where air compressors are being used (braking pumps up air tank, acceleration from stop is assisted by air driven motor sort of thing?)

16. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

well not really... it is just implementation that sucks.

sure diesel hybrid is even better but that would bring another set of issues.

17. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Compare the GM/BMW type of a hybrid configuration to the HiHy / RX-450h SUV's. You CAN get great power AND mileage from the system which for all intents & purposes is the system that the Prius uses. But BMW/GM could never live it down if they had to buy technology from Toyota. What an irony that they didn't - because Toyota's hybrids are all over the landscape. Meanwhile, Toyota's SUV hybrid competition? . . . . hello . . . . anybody there? (crickets)

See my thoughts above. It applies to your question here, too. The point of enhancing power via hybridization does not sell as it does for economy. GM/BMW don't understand that point. GM continues to brag that the Caddy Escalade gets 19mpg ... a 20% improvement, and thus they tout that the most gas can be saved by raising F/E numbers on land barges. No ... you save the most gas by DUMPING land barges for an SUV that can get 30mpg as the hyhi does. That logic, to this day alludes GM because all they REALLY see is bigger dollar signs IF they can sell land barges. They still don't get that they need to stop trying to advertise them as sexy macho and safer when in fact they're not.

18. dknight16

dknight16 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's my understanding that BMW is looking at the Toyota system for the upcoming 1 Series.

Not sure if they are going to enter into an official licensing agreement or if they are going to try to get ZF to mimic it.

19. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Mercedes has talked to toyota about licensing for a small car. BMW has other ideas for the 1.