1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bob Baker Toyota

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by Graz, Mar 3, 2005.

1. Graz

Graz Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hello Everyone,

I had been enviously researching replacing my ’98 blazer for over 6 months. I had made a couple of decisions. 1. I had to get better mileage. I had to have as much room, And I had to have more reliability. I decided on the new Prius when I realized that it had more passenger space than my Blazer and that the used ‘04’s were only $1000 less with 25K miles on it. I was sold.

The next decision was that I wouldn’t pay over MSRP and I wanted to buy locally so the taxes stay here to benefit my community and dealer service would not be an issue.

I had been to Bob Baker a couple of times, and spoken with a couple of the sales people. I had left my phone numbers and e-mail addresses and I asked to be contacted so that I could get a closer look at one. I never got a return call, until a week before I bought. They had a silver package 6 that I was able to drive. I found it confuising but I also felt that I could get used to it.

I told the (rookie) salesman that I could drive this one off his lot if he could negotiate with the MSRP. They have a policy of charging $3,000 over MSRP for these. And that I wouldn’t wait on any lists. He called in the manager. I told him that I knew that Toyota had just doubled production, and that I could buy what I wanted in LA or Sacramento for MSRP, but I wanted to keep the taxes local. He said that a Tideland Pearl one was coming in next week.

I got the call and drove in to see it. It was a package 6 and my heart fluttered. I asked the salesman if he wanted to make a sale? And he said sure he did. I asked him if there was still a $3000 bonus on these. And he said yes. I said that I have a check in my pocket from my Credit Union that I could sigh off to trade for this car this evening. He went for the manager. The manager said that if the car lasted a couple of days they would negotiate on the 3k.

I got a call the next day 

I took some time from work and went in to deal. I was told that they would go down to $1500 over MSRP. I removed the check from my pocket and said that I thought they could do better, and said that I want to buy the car. I got them down to MSRP +1K and they gave me 4K for my Blazer.

I got in with “the finance guy†and I got the pitch for the fabric sealant – bought it – the paint sealant – bought it, Platinum Toyota warranty – bought it. GPS web enabled anti theft device – bought it. I signed the papers and drove home. (with a Cheshire smile)

I found this site some time after that and found that Danny had the same warrenty for $700 less and I was able to negotiate with my Credit Union and the dealership to get Danny’s Deal. I was happy.

All in all I am satisfied. Yes I paid $1k over MSRP. No I didn’t wait on a list.

Thanks for reading!