1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Body ECU: What's the true answer?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Miguel Corazao, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Miguel Corazao

Miguel Corazao New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have two mechanics pointing fingers at each other and calling each other liars. I don't know what the truth is. Hope somebody can help.

The latest mechanic (a Toyota dealer) is claiming that a problem I've been having with the door ajar alarm is because the previous mechanic misconnected the R28 and R29 connectors to the Body ECU. Specifically the dealership says that the plug configurations are identical and that the other mechanic simply plugged each cable into the wrong slot. And so they say the other mechanic should pay for the labor to repair this. The other mechanic says that they are not identical and, regardless, the ECU would completely malfunction if these were somehow misconnected.

What the dealer is saying sounds highly fishy. I contacted a service rep at another dealership who agreed this sounded wrong. However, he was unwilling to definitively tell me that he knew it was false.

Does anybody out there know where I can get definitive proof of what the true story is? There is a few hundred dollars worth of labor costs at stake.

Thanks.

2. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sorry to say, I don't see R28 or R29 listed anywhere as plugs for the 2009 model. On the Body ECU, there are two plugs, 1A and 1E that have the same configuration. Yes, there would be mayhem if those were reversed. Plug 1D carries the wires from the door courtesy light switches, which is what also would be used to detect door ajar, I am quite sure. (Someone correct me if wrong.) It has no other place to plug in.

What exactly are the symptoms you are seeing? Perhaps both of your sources are not quite right.

3. Miguel Corazao

Miguel Corazao New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Actually I bought mine in 2009 but it is a 2010 model.

The only symptom was the door alarm.

4. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    OK that makes a big difference. Please post in the GenIII forums for the best chance of help.