1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Body Expansion?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by wstben, Dec 5, 2008.

1. wstben

wstben New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    When traveling during cold weather (around 30degrees F) in my 55,000 mile Prius a loud cracking sound as if a rock has hit a window will occur a couple of times enroute. This is a horrific, frightening noise that occurs when the interior is warming up, about 10-15 minutes into the trip. Is the sudden crack the result of body expansion or a more sinister occurance? Is there anything to be done about it? Will it result in metal fatigue and cause me to fall from the sky? wstben:eek:

2. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've never heard of something like that before with the Prius, or any other car for that matter.

3. PA Prius

PA Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    This happens to me as well, although I haven't paid so much attention to when it happens.

PA P

4. spitinuri

spitinuri Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I would discount an engine problem as it only occurs when cold weather. Sounds like an expansion of something in your heating system maybe on some kind of plastic connection that pops when it finally warms enough. Just a guess though.

Can you narrow it to a particular area? Under your dash maybe?

Does it only happen when the defroster is on. Or, does it occur when only floor heating is on? Or possibly the rear defroster? It might help to narrow it down.

5. PA Prius

PA Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    My experience is the same as wstben described-- it sounds as though a stone hit the windshield. That is also where the sound seems to come from.

PA P

6. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Does it occur when the heating system changes from recirc to normal? I have heard of people complaining of a noise attributed to the opening and closing of the "door" that controls the recirc feature.

7. spitinuri

spitinuri Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    What about the fit of the dash near the winshield. Heated it expanded and pops as what ever it was caught on releases. Just a thought.