1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Body Shop Recommendations

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Family Hybrid, Sep 20, 2008.

1. Family Hybrid

Family Hybrid Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    My wife's Prius was hit today on the R/R corner. Mainly sheet metal and bumper damage, but the area around the 12v battery has also been damaged. Does anyone have experience with the body shops in the Tidewater VA area? The other guy's insurance company is Progressive and I haven't heard great things about the body shops they pick. HELP!!

Attached Files:

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sorry to hear about your damage. I don't have a body shop recommendation but encourage you to pick a shop carefully as it appears that the right rear quarter panel will have to be replaced, a pretty big job. It will also be interesting to see how well the new paint job will blend in with the old.

Good luck.

3. ivanbg

ivanbg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  4. ivanbg

ivanbg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I forgot to mention but when the insurance adjuster comes around tell him/her that you want genuine Toyota parts.

Also get a few estimates from local shops and ask if they will straighten the panel and fill the waves and imperfections body filler( aka Bondo or mud) or replace it. I would go with the one that replaces it.

5. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Family Hybrid, there's no need to go to a body shop. You might be able to fix this yourself! I had a similar accident in the same spot a couple of months ago. You'll need some car polish and a plunger:

1. Spread some car polish over the damaged area. The car polish helps create a better suction.
    2. Push in the plunger with your hands, turning it inside out, rather than pushing it against the car first.
    3. Put the plunger up against the damaged area, creating an airtight suction.
    4. Gently pull. The plastic should pull out.

The reason this works (for me at least) is because the Prius material is plastic and very formable. However, your success depends on how long ago the accident was (how long the plastic has been pressed in) and how well you can create a suction. When it works, however, it works incredibly well! Mine looks as good as new. In fact, it looks even better than before the accident, because I used car polish! Most of all, this can save you hundreds of dollars.

Good luck!