1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Body Side Molding question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by whereisz, Aug 2, 2007.

1. whereisz

whereisz New Member

I just got my body side molding from Priuschat shop. Before I stick it on, I want to know if the adhesive is permanent. Just incase if I screw up, or want to remove it in the future, is the molding hard to strip it off? Would it damage my paint?

Anybody? thanks.

2. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(whereisz @ Aug 2 2007, 12:32 AM) [snapback]489072[/snapback]</div>
    I would consider it permanent. At least I hope it is. I put mine on not expecting to ever need to remove them. I don't know how much paint damage it might do taking it off, but I wouldn't want to find out.

If you're ambitious enough to try it yourself (I was), search here for several posts describing installation tips. Others have had body shops do it for a relatively small fee.

3. Metro

Metro Your OEM Q & A Resource

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(whereisz @ Aug 2 2007, 12:32 AM) [snapback]489072[/snapback]</div>
    The adhesive is permanent, make sure of the correct placement before you put them on or you might be in trouble. Others that have screwed up have had to purchase new mouldings. They are not hard to take off if you need to at a later date. A heat gun or at least a hairdryer to heat up the adhesive and make it plyable is one of the better methods. Then you just GENTLY peel them back. You could also try a paint safe adhesive remover. Once you decide to take them off make sure that you are postive as they will not go back on. If the thought of making a mistake is a scary thought, ask or call around and find a reputable body shop to install them for you. Some places other PC members have found are quite reasonable. Even ask your local dealer, they might be more reasonable than you might think. If you do your homework the installation will turn out great. Good Luck!

4. topkick

topkick Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It is ment to stay put and not be removed, but you can remove it with dental floss (put the floss under an edge and use a sawing motion to remove the strip). Then use goo gone or some such product to remove the residue. However once you take it off like that the 3m double sided tape would need to be replaced prior to placing it on again( most likely). If you use the extra bonding agent that is supplied with the molding, I think it can discolor the paint, so you would be taking a chance by removing them.

I put mine on and did not use the extra bonding agent on my prius. I did not want to take a chance of having the paint discolored. I have used the 3m tape before and did not need the extra help to have it hold.

Just my input nothing concrete!