1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Body Side Moldings and Zaino

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Claudia, Oct 17, 2006.

1. Claudia

Claudia New Member

I've already gotten the side moldings, but haven't had them put on yet.

I have some Zaino products on order - can't wait to see the Barcelona Red after that! - but was wondering . . .

Should I get the side moldings put on before I do the Zaino routine, or the other way around?

2. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I would put the mouldings first then Zaino. If the mouldings use double sided tape, the wax will make it difficult to install the mouldings.

Zaino everything twice or thrice and please use 100% microfiber!!! It's will look beautiful.

3. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Actually, you should be using 100% cotton for applying Zaino, and it isn't a wax. But yes, I, too, would wait to Zaino until you install the mouldings. That way you will get a consistent look between the mouldings and the body of the car.

4. Claudia

Claudia New Member

Thanks - that's what I thought, just wanted to make sure I was right! :)

Zaino says use cotton towel . . . I'll be using cotton.

5. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The overriding reason to put the moldings on before you put on any sealant is that the adhesive won't adhere at all if you've got a fresh coat of Zaino or any other sealant on your paint. And you'll need something fairly aggressive to get it off if you already applied sealant. No type of dish soap, Dawn or other is going to strip it off. A paint cleaner with abrasives and chemical cleaners like Meguiar's Body Scrub (which I would not want to put on my car) is required.

By the way, I can't recall a single experienced detailer every stating that they used anything other than microfiber towels to remove Zaino (microfiber is mostly polyester). Even Zaino endorses use of microfiber towels. The instructions from Zaino are targeted at total detailing newbies. For instance, no pro would ever clay a car and then not machine polish it, unless it was a paying job and you weren't getting paid for the polishing. But most newbs aren't going to have the equipment or expertise to machine polish their paint.

6. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusenvy @ Oct 17 2006, 01:31 PM) [snapback]334029[/snapback]</div>
    Really? I recall an entire webpage devoted to the topic of using cotton towels:

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/mercha...mp;Store_Code=Z

I'm not saying microfiber won't work. I know for a fact it does. What I am saying is that the manufacturer recommends cotton. Moreover, they do not endorse the use of microfiber towels:

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/mercha...e=Z#anchormicro

7. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brandon @ Oct 17 2006, 12:49 PM) [snapback]334078[/snapback]</div>
    The problem is, your knowledge is limited to what is printed on Zaino's web site.

If you actually had any knowledge of auto paint care beyond what you read on Zaino's web site, you'd know that "Wayne's Towels" microfiber towels are approved by Sal Zaino himself.

8. Inthewind

Inthewind New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusenvy @ Oct 17 2006, 04:28 PM) [snapback]334132[/snapback]</div>

Jeez Priusenvy, no need for personal attacks on knowledge base here...

Zaino is actually still out to recess on whether or not microfiber is a good standard. I can tell you from my experience, using Zaino on my Harley, my last Mustang and now my BMW K1200LT and 07 Prius; cotton is the better alternative and what works best for me...

Zaino quotes:
    "Towel Guidelines
    I prefer high quality name brand 100% Cotton Towels Large White Bath Size for washing, drying and polishing. I don't like sponges natural or synthetic or any wash mitts, since they all can scratch.

I prefer high quality name brand 100% Cotton Towels to dry the car. Chamois or the Absorber and especially the Water Blade are flat and could trap a piece of dirt and scratch the paint finish. Towels have nap and are much safer and forgiving. Even if it were to pickup a piece of dirt, the nap would cushion it.

Again Towels must be name brand high quality 100% Made in USA.

Q: Are Micro-Fiber products safe to use?

A: Zaino has been testing various Micro-Fiber products. Unfortunately, the jury is still out on them. Some of them are excellent and do not scratch. Others are terrible and definitely scratch. The quality control of these products from overseas, especially Korea, is not consistent, so you never know if they will be the same scratch-free quality. Even when using the same brand, we found the quality to be inconsistent. For now, we do not recommend using them. However, lab testing is ongoing, and we will post an update when we have more conclusive results.

NOTE: If you are already using microfiber towels, look carefully at your paint finish under flourescent light when you are using your towels. If you are not getting any swirls or fine scratches from the microfiber towels, then you are okay and can continue to use them. Remember it's better to be safe than swirly."

I've never had great luck with microfiber, whether using carnuba, Zaino or whatever, and I think 35 years of owning vehicles and motorcycles speaks for my knowledge base.

Use what suits you best.

9. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusenvy @ Oct 17 2006, 03:28 PM) [snapback]334132[/snapback]</div>
    Fair enough, but does that make what is printed on Zaino's website wrong?

10. Inthewind

Inthewind New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brandon @ Oct 18 2006, 11:33 AM) [snapback]334463[/snapback]</div>
    What's the difference...what someone tells you on this website or printed information from another website? It's all about taking in the information and making your own decisions. Remember, just because it's in print, doesn't make it right or wrong. Try microfiber and then try cotton...make your own decision from there...

Again, my $.02

11. Scott_R

Scott_R Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Inthewind @ Oct 17 2006, 06:32 PM) [snapback]334218[/snapback]</div>
    Which is why I have him plonkied.

I've called them up for a question or two, and was told that they personally use cotton towels for everything there, including washing the car.

12. Inthewind

Inthewind New Member

Yep...I'm finding in the short time I've been posting on this site, that there are a few people who either:

a. Think they know it all and their opinion is the only one or, :(

b. They get offended by others who ask "Stupid, silly, silly questions" or, <_<

c. Look down on others for their limited knowledge or physical appearance. :angry:

This is a shame because there is alot to learn on here if you weed through the bullsh!t!