1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Body Side Moldings Slight Error

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by JunsGrayPria, Sep 2, 2007.

1. JunsGrayPria

JunsGrayPria New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Anyone installed body side moldings but then tried to remove them. I self-installed mine, but there's a slight error in the angles. Any advice?

Made the mistake of placing the moldings 16.75 from the bottom of the doors on the rear and front doors, instead of slanting the tape 16.25 to the front...

Should I stress out? Tell me what you think... I can live with it, but it bothers me a little... I doubt many people would even notice...

[attachmentid=11092][attachmentid=11095][attachmentid=11094]

Attached Files:

2. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JunsGrayPria @ Sep 2 2007, 09:16 PM) [snapback]506109[/snapback]</div>
    I had my rear passenger door repainted and they removed the side moldings and then reinstalled them. Sorry, can't tell you how they did it.

3. jlchellman

jlchellman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Sep 2 2007, 10:35 PM) [snapback]506116[/snapback]</div>
    Mine were installed at the body shop. I say go there to have them removed or re-installed.

John

4. Prius 07

Prius 07 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JunsGrayPria @ Sep 2 2007, 10:16 PM) [snapback]506109[/snapback]</div>
    If memory serves me correctly in one of the threads it was suggested to use dental floss and using a saw motion slowly work your way through. Do a search to make sure and good luck.

Gabe

5. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Use dewatering fluid like CRC 6-56 or WD40 or RP7 spray along the top of the strip so the spray is able to run into the join and park the car in the sun to warm the panel or carefully use a hair dryer to warm the panel. Don't blister the paint which is why you don't use a heat gun. Apply slight pull on the top of one end with finger nails or plastic spatula while there is dewatering fluid on the double sided tape, it will start to come away from the paint. Keep fluid along the top to soften the glue and take your time.

Once the strip is removed you need to remove the double sided tape from the strip, use the same technique take your time and apply heat from a hair drier if needed.

Clean off adhesive remaining on surfaces with dewatering fluid then clean with alcohol, or dish washing liquid in water.

Apply fresh double sided tape to the back of the strip and ensure the strip is warm to make it flexable before you re-apply it to the panel.

I hope this helps.

6. JunsGrayPria

JunsGrayPria New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Added the pics to the first post... thanks for the advice so far... I'm leaning towards leaving them on... afraid of paint damage...

The moldings don't look straight from some angles, which means "Pria" must not be straight! Haha.
    I still love "Pria" and will support her no matter what...

7. topkick

topkick Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Leave them! I think that if they were mine I would not try to change them at this point. The only reason that I would consider changing them is if I did not think they would protect the doors. If you think they will do the job of door protection - I would leave them as they are.

8. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    A bodyshop will use a heat gun to soften the adhesive and make it easier to remove. A hair dryer doesn't put out enough heat to do that. Dental floss only works for small emblems that are attached with a thick layer of soft adhesive, it won't work on bodyside moldings if they have the same kind of adhesive as the ones I got from MetroTPN.

9. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks great to me

10. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I vote to leave them alone as I don't see the problem. It will be a lot of work & hassle to remove them with the potential of damaging something.

11. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JunsGrayPria @ Sep 2 2007, 07:16 PM) [snapback]506109[/snapback]</div>
    The medicine is much worse than the cure.

12. JunsGrayPria

JunsGrayPria New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Sep 3 2007, 06:33 PM) [snapback]506474[/snapback]</div>

Thank you guys... I am leaning more and more to just keeping them... It's still a beautiful and amazing car...
    Didn't get the car for the looks anyway (even though it looks so beautiful to me), but for what it does...

13. alexilic

alexilic Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It would drive me crazy!! I would have to remove it, but I'm anal like that... :)

14. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chitown guzzler @ Sep 4 2007, 09:39 PM) [snapback]506705[/snapback]</div>
    Can you see a problem?

15. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I definitely see it, and being a graphic artist/designer, than funny angle drives me NUTS! I'd change it. I've pulled emblems off my car and have no fear that you'd damage your paint if you are just a little careful.

Not to mention the fact that the updward angle will clearly create some extra lift and your MPGs will go down :D

16. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Your car looks like it is going uphill all the time.

Since going uphill reduces gas mileage, your car will likely experience increased fuel consumption. I would take the moldings off ASAP, and reinstall them with the front much lower than the back. That way your car will think it is going downhill all the time, and you'll get increased fuel economy.

17. pingman

pingman New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusenvy @ Sep 4 2007, 12:45 PM) [snapback]506831[/snapback]</div>
    yeah if they bother you now.I know you will always think about them every time you get in your car, so remove them i constantly look at my "prius gas electric hybrid" decals because they are a little to high EVERY TIME i approach my car <_<

18. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    From your pictures, I think they look fine (or at least within the range of acceptable).

The body side moldings have always been problematic.

1. I think the vendor's installation instructions changed over time. In the beginning, the instructions provided and people installed them around 13" from the bottom with a 3/4" front/rear differential. Then the instructions changed to around 16" from the bottom with a 1/2" front/rear differential. That's the way I installed mine (see picture below):

[IMGLINK]http://priuschat.com/forums/attachments/gen-ii-prius-main-forum/4720d1185170712-magnetic-gray-club-prius___with_bumper_guards___side_moldings_051.jpg[/IMGLINK]

Either way, such an installation visually appears to line up the moldings parallel to the bottom of the car. Personally, although I installed mine this way, I actually like # 2 below more.

2. Other PriusChatters installed the moldings with a much larger front/rear differential, i.e., with a sloping downward rake that visually appears to line up the moldings with the rake of the top of the doors/bottom of the windows. Personally, I like this placement the best. If I could have a do-over, I would do it this way.

3. Your installation is different from #s 1 and 2. It effectively forms the beginning of a "v" or more precisely, a ">", with the rake of the top of the doors/bottom of the windows. Again, from your pictures, I think they look at least acceptable. I wouldn't bother re-installing them. But if you do decide to re-install them, I think you should consider installing them like # 2 above.

19. Prius 07

Prius 07 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JunsGrayPria @ Sep 3 2007, 03:58 PM) [snapback]506397[/snapback]</div>
    I looked at your pictures and agree with you - leave them that's what I would do :)

Enjoy your Prius ... just wish that you would show more affection for her LOL :lol:

20. JunsGrayPria

JunsGrayPria New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    okay... the drama continues... the slight upward angle did bother me over the last few days... it just doesn't look right up close... went to a body shop who repaired my highlander bumper months ago (i'm still looking for the rude person who hit and run my bumper in the trader joe's parking lot - arroyo and california in pasadena, but that's another story!)...

got the angles repaired or should i say fixed my own body work...

here are before and after pictures:

BEFORE

[attachmentid=11292]
    [attachmentid=11293]

AFTER

[attachmentid=11294]
    [attachmentid=11295]

it cost me $60 to get it repaired... should have gone there to get them installed the first time!

i hope you never need body work but if you're in the los angeles area, i highly recommend the body shop i go to:

Manongs Autobody And Repair
    4780 Eagle Rock Blvd Los Angeles CA 90041

TELEPHONE NUMBER
    (323)551-6789

they also fixed my acura rsx (fender and bumper) 4 years ago when someone hit me, and they did a wonderful job back then also... i was 0% at fault for the accident...

Attached Files: