1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bolt EV leads in August sales of all other plug ins

Discussion in 'GM Hybrids and EVs' started by Rmay635703, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    1. Contrary to previous reports...

Just in time for Chevrolet’s announcement that it’s available nationwide, the Bolt EV has finished a sales month ahead of every other plug-in electrified vehicle sold in the U.S.

At least, it probably did assuming Tesla Model S sales estimated just 7 units less than the Bolt’s 2,107 August sales is accurate.

Chevrolet’s all-electric front-wheel-driver otherwise did well compared to 1,820 Toyota Prius Prime sales, 1,700 Model X sales, and 1,445 units of its gas-electric sibling, the Chevy Volt.

One might expect this result from the Bolt and even more, given its on-paper credentials are what they are. Last month Consumer Reports – which has more-often under-rated cars’ mpg and range potential in its tougher-than-EPA tests – said it’s good for an honest-to-goodness 250 miles range, and the five-seater after $7,500 federal tax credit can be had for under $30,000.

This year the Bolt’s sales have climbed as availability has climbed, and the last two months of July and August were progressively its best sales months so far.

Robert Holt likes this.
  2. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep, and I expect their numbers to continue to grow into the end of the year.
    If someone decides, between now and 1Q18, that they want a electric car with more than 100 miles of range, they have exactly 1 choice.
    As more people start seeing the Bolt and Tesla Model 3, more will buy.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    great little car at a great price. i'm not surprised at all.(y)

strange to see volt II struggling though, is there a supply problem?

4. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    The Volt & Bolt face a similar issue. They are both sold by GM dealers :sick:
    Many dealers simply don't carry the Volt. Even more don't carry the Bolt. Unlike the current Volt though, the Bolt is the first BEV under $40k that gives a range over 200 miles. There is some 'initial interest' involved and we are moving into the best, historically, months for EV sales.

I know a number of people who want to go electric, but 60-100 miles range wasn't enough. Their choices were a much more expensive car, or a plugin hybrid. Now, many of those people have an option of the Bolt, so I expect the Bolt is cannibalizing some Volt sales.

If GM actually started marketing the Volt, and got their dealers to sell them, I would expect the Volt to sell a lot more.

bisco likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think you could say the same for toyota.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  6. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    To a lesser extent, yes.
    I have yet to hear of a Toyota dealer putting a Prime in the back of their lot and putting a tarp over it. Or sales reps actively dissuading people who ask for a Prime.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    well, it's early in the game. i've certainly heard it about prius over the years.

8. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Here in DMV (DC MD VA) area with pretty good incentives/market we are hearing Bolt ads on radio.

Zythryn likes this.
  9. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    okay - I went back & forth for quite some time before deciding to comment on that thought. I keep a lot of GM history on file, because it inevitably comes back to bite them in the arse, & deservedly so. The quote below illustrates this. I remember not too long ago, Mary, the relatively new GM head, decided to take a jab at "Tesla" (without saying that name) when she said;
    GM CEO Mary Barra: Chevy Bolt EV is Built for Everyone
    Agreed, the bolt appears to be a great little EV with range. No reflection on that. However when a multinational corporation uses it massive Lobby machine's political/financial muscles to keep a company out of some states, & then they brag that 'some electric car customers' can't buy in the states that GM (& other companyies of that mindset) has successfully kept them out of, that just really gets my jaw muscles in a bunch.
    Perhaps - just perhaps, GM could have furthered their electric cars' infrastructure by untold multiples, had they used just a portion of that Lobby money for DC quick Chargers. But no - Mary is showing her self to be another form of Bob lutz who would say the Prius is "just for nerds" . Better to take the other guy out at any cost, then make your own product better (ie infrastructure). Thank you Ms Barra et al - for showing your real side -
    I guess if you don't have over 400,000 deposits waiting to buy your product, a cheap shot, a nice car w/no infrastructure, and a giant lobby is all you got .

#9 hill, Oct 12, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    bwilson4web, Trollbait and Zythryn like this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i can't disagree with that. it wouldn't stop me from buying a bolt, but i would like gm to move in a better direction.

11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Prodigyplace likes this.
  12. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    The Primes are advertised on the radio and TV here. Not a single commercial for the Volts or Bolts.

13. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I realize this was last month's data, but still, can't figure out why it doesn't reconcile with the quantities on this chart posted on another thread here on PC.
    [​IMG]

not saying that the bolt being 5th largest sales volume for September isn't good - but it's definitely got 4 other sales quantity in front of it - including Prius -
    No?

#13 hill, Oct 13, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  14. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    For The month of September, the Bolt was number three, ahead of the Prime and only following the S and X.
    For the year, the Bolt is indeed in fifth place.
    I am not sure what you mean by the table not reconciling. If you are referring to the monthly Tesla numbers, those are estimates which tend to be adjusted at the end of each quarter when Tesla releases numbers.

Rmay635703 likes this.
  15. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    And the only reason Bolt is in 3rdis because of hidden and not so hidden firesale prices on Tesla products.

Tesla is pulling out the stops to get folks into anything but Model 3

16. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hold that chuck wagon my friend. Due to (for example) a 100+ day market inventory glut - didn't GM just halt all Volt production?
    Some manufacturers drop prices (Tesla) to sell (less profit), while another (GM) just keeps cranking buyer-less cars out, only to draw cobwebs. Tesla brings in less cash selling for less profit while GM has to rent back lots to store inventory glut - less profit. Not making a business judgement/critique necessarily - but isn't this possibly just a different philosophy?

GM could discount Bolts/Volts in order to move more inventory ... a 'fire sale' ... perhaps GM will take a lesson from little upstart tesla.

#16 hill, Oct 14, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
    Prodigyplace likes this.
  17. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Besides the Volt, they also make the Impala, Lacrosse and the CT-6 at that plant.

18. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks like everyone has their problems.

Tesla fires hundreds from headquarters, factory

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i had no idea tesla discounted, what can i pick up a new s for?

20. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    They don’t, unless you are looking at used, or loaner vehicles.
    There was a rumor spread that Tesla was offering 30k discounts on new cars. This was false, and the sales rep that sent an email implying that has been fired.

This is yet another reason I won’t buy from a dealer. When dealerships pull this type of garbage there is nothing the manufacturer can do. With direct sales, Tesla can deal with it quickly.

bisco likes this.