1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bolt-On Receiver Hitch

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by The Ericsons, Jun 9, 2005.

1. The Ericsons

The Ericsons New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    We want to take our bikes on the Prius and found a place, Coastal Electronic Technologies, Inc. in Florida that makes a bolt-on receiver hitch especially for the car. Has anyone used one and is it easy to install by owner? Is there any hitch that is better?

2. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Coastal is well known on this forum. They have great products including the bolt on hitch however if you will notice there have been numerious complaints about delayed delivery. This is probably due to the popularity of the Prius and that they are flooded with orders. Regardless of delivery interval they do not process your card until the item you have ordered has shipped.

3. narf

narf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I use a hitch custom made for the Prius by DaLan. Its a bolt on receiver type, and the only mod needed on the car is to cut a hole in the plastic underbody panel to make room for the mounting. I bought it from hitchweb.com. I think it was about $150.
    I actually use the hitch for towing a small trailer with my shifter kart on it, and it works fine.

4. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

Just received it, and I'll install it this weekend. I expect to use it for a bike carrier, and perhaps a homebuilt storage box for vacation use.

5. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I've got one on my '02 for my wife's wheelchair carrier. I eventually plan to put one on my '04 as well. Both from Coastal.

Note: Coastal's hitches do not have loops for safety chains, so those who are willing to overlook Toyota's recommendations and are looking to tow will have to get creative or look elsewhere.

6. alsgameroom

alsgameroom Member

I am under the understanding that if you tow any type of trailer without saftey chains you are in violation of the law. Its "Failure to secure a Load" or similar depending on the jurisdiction.

Check your states laws before towing without saftey chains..or maybe check your brain :) this is just not a good idea!

Al

7. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(alsgameroom\";p=\"97125)</div>
    True, however there are several uses for the bolt-on receiver hitch other than towing a trailer. Possibly that was the reason that Costal left loops for safety chains off their receiver.

8. hawkjm73

hawkjm73 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(htmlspinnr\";p=\"97111)</div>
    I can't help but wonder. Why can a person not just loop the safety chains around the body of the hitch reciever? (I have never towed anything at all, so I really don't know)

I love my Costal hitch. I carry my bike around on it often. The installation was a breeze, with the only hard part getting the oem bolts loose.

9. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Hey Rick, can you give me some info on your wheelchair carrier, like what it can carry, where did you get it, and how much? I'd like an alternative way to carry my friend's wheelchair, especially if we ever go on a long trip and take her service dog.
    I'd PM you for this, but others might appreciate the info as well. I am going to try improvising using a bicycle carrier as many have suggested by renting one, once I get a hitch.

By the way, I finally did carry her, the wheelchair and the dog without issue. Other than the dog making paw prints on the seat. Oh well, the things you'll do for love. I expect it to clean up OK though.

Because of the wheelchair, I have to fold down the small seat. Epic (dog's name) looked like he considered going into the hatch where the seat was down, but the wheelchair being in the way had him reconsider.

10. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    My wife, who has MS, uses a folding Quickie2 type power chair for extended outings when walking would be too taxing.

The carrier we use bolts onto a 1¼" hitch mount - we opted to use a 2" step up type that came w/ her previous draw-tite hitch on her old Hyundai Elantra GT wagon in order to keep the carrier from bottoming out on steeper driveways.

The carrier itself is a folding type which tilts forward parallel with the back of the car when not in use to reduce length, and is secured with a spring pin (? for lack of better term). When in use it lies flat, carrying the folded chair sideways with the chair back to the car's left. To load the chair, a second spring pin can be released to allow the carrier to tilt to the left in order to load the chair. Once the chair is mounted, a bracket of sort with a hook and friction locking strap is used to secure the rear wheel by clamping down from the top. A second strap with hook and friction lock is used to strap down the front portion of the chair.

We do take an MPG hit when carrying the chair on the '02 because the chair back adds additional drag.

I'll see if I can't find the brand name of the carrier.

The battery pack is then stowed in the trunk area.