1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

BonGiovi DPS should enhance sound quality: Toyota aftermarket upgrade...but not for the C!

Discussion in 'Prius c Audio and Electronics' started by morrissettee, Oct 22, 2012.

1. morrissettee

morrissettee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Hi all.

I am the proud owner of a Prius C Three with the 7inch navigation console. I have also been really disappointed with the poor audio system. Toyota's effort to reduce weight makes this car wind noise-prone. The sound quality of even the high-end audiotainment is this car is aweful.

I called my dealership and explained that as an owner I am disappointed in audio quality and that it's strange that it's flagship of technology has such lousy sound... They pointed me to a possible upgrade: the Bongiovi DPS which enhances greatly the quality of the sound system, it's kind of an amplifier and Digital Signal Processor... (see here: The audio revolution starts here. Only in Canada, only in a Toyota / Toyota Canada, Inc.)

And in telling me that, he also added that well, it's not available for my car!

As of now, I'm pressuring him to get them to install it in the car.

What do you guys thing of this kind of enhancement?

Thanks

2. Mik1

Mik1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Interesting... I guess it will take some time since the car is quite new. I do like the idea behind it though.

3. koipond

koipond Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    It's neat, but it's basically a sophisticated digital EQ that's "tuned" to the acoustics of the particular car model (and tuned to compensate for shortcomings in the frequency response/performance of the native electronics). I'm sure it improves things... but only so much can come of "EQ" solutions when you're starting with such poor electronics up front. For instance, if the vehicle had great sound that was merely being lost due to odd speaker placement and acoustic issues in the car cabin, a digital EQ solution can work tremendously well. But if the problem is that your midrange sounds flat/harsh because your HH and speakers lack dynamic range and resolution, no EQ can magically restore that back.

4. eco31

eco31 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    There is a solution for you. OEM Audio is working on something. Hang tight, I will let you know once a kit is available.

5. teamsc10190

teamsc10190 Stereo Prii (2011 and 2006)

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Save your money for real audio hardware, because this is hype. It's an overpriced loudness control using digital TI chipsets from home boomboxes. You can't make bass without moving lots of air and it takes real power and drivers with sufficient size and cone excursion to move air.