1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Boosting Mishap.......

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by gazza21, Mar 4, 2012.

1. gazza21

gazza21 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My wife and I just returned from a lovely month long vacation to discover our 2006 Prius is in distress. Our friends who borrowed the car while we were away emailed to tell us it was dead when they returned from a weekend away. There room mate who has an old truck decided to help boost it. Apparently she does not know the difference between red and black......you know where I am going with this right!

They tell us the electronics came on for a few seconds before everything went dead. Her truck is not running either as a result of this. Welcome home guy's.

I will get it towed to a dealer but was wondering if anyone knows what kinda repair bill to expect. I am assuming this is not a simple case of a blown fuse.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers.

2. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    If you're lucky it's a fuse. If not it can be very expensive. In the $3000 range. The inverter is the first to get zapped. Sorry I had to be the first with the bad news.

3. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Double Post

4. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Sorry to hear of your tragedy, I'm guessing a very conservative $2500.00 Probably your inverter is blown and maybe the HV Battery too, possibly a ECU. Of course the 12V is shot. To all others out there, Do NOT lend your Prius. They do not understand it! :(:(

5. w2co

w2co Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    "the electronics came on for a few seconds"
    Well if it were connected backwards I don't think the electronics would come on even for a few seconds, it probably would be more like a quick flash. Ask them if they smelled burning electronics..that is a sure sign the inv. , and probably the MFD/dash area is toast. If not check all fuses and replace the 12V battery first, it may have gone dead and is acting like a short to the sys and/or anything connected to it as well.
    My condolences.

6. w2co

w2co Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The main relay would keep the HV battery disconnected until the inv. went ready, so no problem there.

7. w2co

w2co Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Where did they hook up the jumper cables, in the front under the hood or in the back? Should be the back to the little 12v battery only.

8. sub3marathonman

sub3marathonman Active Member

I thought the Prius manual specified to hook them up to the front ones.

BUT, what I don't understand is why people insist on jumping cars like that. What is supposed to happen is the good car with their alternator charges the dead car's battery. Not helps start the dead car. This is true on any car, not just a Prius. I was told this by a guy working at a GM dealership long ago. Let the car charge for 10 or 15 minutes. Disconnect and try to start. If it doesn't work, you can try again for a period of time. If it doesn't work the second time, that is it and the car will either need to be towed or the battery replaced where it sits.

On another note, I have seen a guy hook up the jumper cables to a battery incorrectly, create a spark, and the battery exploded. It was incredible, you could hear it across the parking lot. A huge flash of light, it was truly a bomb exploding. I was one of the first people by the guy, who had a gash over his eye and was screaming on the ground. We got him calmed down a bit, and I sent somebody into the grocery store for distilled water. I then waited, and waited, and WAITED. I was starting to panic, it was taking so long. Some idiot said he had vinegar and we could wash his eyes out, because the vinegar would neutralize the battery acid. Luckily I knew to only use water to wash eyes out, if we had used vinegar the guy would liable to have been blinded. The irony of course to a chemist is that vinegar is an acid too. But finally somebody showed up, I guess they stopped to pay inside??? I got the water going across his eyes and the gouge in his head, and by then the ambulance was getting there. Where the battery used to be was absolutely nothing. So that was a quick lesson too on the importance of proper procedure when jumping a battery.

9. w2co

w2co Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Absolutely! lead acid batteries can explode if the is a spark, especially after/during charging. It's the hydrogen gas generated can build up in the area of the battery and well you saw what can happen. Now the 12v battery in the prius only powers the computers during startup, it uses the HV battery to turn the ICE but only after the inverter/HV,hybrid ecu's are happy and ready. Ah yes you can jump it from the front sorry my bad. I bet that's exactly why they did that, to keep jumper cables from sparking right on top of the battery in the back. But in the prius it's only a small motorcycle like battery.
    Have to run for a while, best of luck getting it fixed.

10. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's why I never let anyone borrow my car! I'm even leary of letting the car wash attendant take it even though I keep it in sight at all times.

11. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This sounds like a good time to commit a grab-and-run shoplift. Treat the patient first, go back and pay after the ambulance arrives to take over.

12. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Are there any updates on how this turned out gazza?