1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Boot up sequence

Discussion in 'Knowledge Base Articles Discussion' started by windstrings, Jan 22, 2006.

1. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I thought the regular boot up sequence was to put your foot on the brake, press power once to get to accessory mode and then again to get to ready mode?

Seems like thats what I was doing originally.. unless I wasn't using the brake "which will never enable hybrid mode".

My question is.. .after sitting all night, I can get in, put my foot on the brake hit the start button "one time" and it comes right up to ready mode?...

Is this normal? and did it do it just because my foot was on the brake so it assumed I was not interested in accessory mode?

I just originally thought it had to always be "two" pushes of the power button to get into ready mode.. but maybe not..

Ill have to play with it some more........
    I haven't figured out if it comes right up with one button press because I was just running the car and I only briefly turned it off, or if its because the brake pedal was pressed before I pressed the power button.......

2. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Congratulations on your (your wife's) new Prius. Yes that's how it's done. And when you shut it down when it's stopped just hold the brake and push the power button, that puts it in park before it shuts off.

3. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Yes, if you put your foot on the brake, you are telling the car that it needs to get ready to drive. Then you only need to push the button once, and it's on and ready to go.

If your foot is off the brake, then one push turns on accessory mode, and the second turns on all functions except the actual drivetrain. Everything works but you can't drive. From here youwould still need to put your foot on the brake and push power one more time.

4. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

Step on the brakes, put it once for "on". No brake -- push, push. push to cycle through the accessoriy and "ignition on" modes and off again. It's all in that 577 page manual you got. Haven't you read it yet? :p

5. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Thanks Tumbleweed.. I think at the next meeting we may have to bring "both" of them!....

That saves me a step... I"ve been hitting park first.... good to know it will do it auto if I just hit the power.

6. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Thanks Doc... If I do the latter you mentioned.... and end up in accessory mode.. I think pushing the brake at that point still does not work.. I have to turn it off first and start over if I remember right... Ill have to check that again.

7. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Yea.. I feel like I"m in college again and having to work at the same time! :lol:

Lets see...... no would be the answer to your question...

I haven't even figured out how to reset the gas tank so the computer knows I'm on a different tank... maybe it does it automatically?....

I have sooooo much still to read..... its hard when you want to drive it, show it off, talk about it.... work.. eat sleep... eat some more.... Ill get those fat mauals read.. I have just now gotten through the little ones... even with those I haven't tried many of the things I've read yet.....

Thanks guys for letting me cheat and just ask. :D

8. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Sometimes I hit Park anyway, as I still want to stay in the car for a while (listening to NPR or something). Otherwise, I do just hit power and do it all with one button push.

Isn't it funny that we are so concerned about pushing one button instead of two. I mean how much more time and energy does it take to hit Park then Power as opposed to just Power...?

Are we being efficient or lazy?

9. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If you are in Acc mode (one push of power without the brake) you can still push the brake down and push power once to turn the car on, of course one push without the brake gets you to what is called the Ign on mode, which means that the ignition is off.

One thing some Prius drivers don't know, because they haven't read the book yet, <_< is that if you are driving down the road and poke the power button nothing happens, but if you hold it in for about 2 seconds the HSD will disconnect and the car will shut down in neutral. You will lose power steering and power brakes but you can still brake and steer just fine with a little more effort. After you pull off the road and stop you can restart the car in the normal manner.

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    same goes for neutral and reverse.

Also, if you're in ACC mode with the fob in the dash, you don't have to press POWER twice to shut down. Simply removing the fob shuts the car down.

11. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Well I think my wife is waiting for me to figure it all out and then teach her.... I am going to tell her to just hit the park... that way she doesn't make that mistake and forget and get distracted messing with something only to roll forward when she lets off the brake because she is so used to not having to park it...

I think its the safest for everybody to just hit park first.. then once you get "used" to that, you can cheat for special applications if you want and skip it.

I see it as "teaching your subconcious".. when I teach someone to drive.. I warn them to do everything perfect so as to teach thier subconcious how to drive safely without having to think because when they get distracted... thier subconcious will be doing the driving.. so it had better know how to do it safely.

When people learn to drive carelessly.. they have to think about what they are doing all the time to be safe.....

Not that skipping the park button is careless, but It may be a good habit to learn for beginners "like myself".

12. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

I think I read its 3 seconds...prob like the typical "4 - second hard" shutdown on a home computer......that sounds like some fun I don't care to try on purpose.... :huh:

13. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

I wonder what would happen if if you got out or "fell out" of the car while it was moving slowly in drive.. would the car shut itself down since the key is in your pocket and it would lose communication with it?

14. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

I don't think so. If you start the car witht he fob in your pocket, you can still get out adn walk away. The car jsut beeps. Of course, if it's moving it may be different. Why don't you be the guinea pig and find out by "falling out of the car..." :lol:

15. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Well I was actually kinda thinking what might happen if my wife jerked me out of the car while I was trying to drive off, cause it was her turn to drive! :lol: :lol:

16. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    That's one philosophy, mine has always been, with cars anyway, to try things. That way I can find out what they feel like so if something happens unexpectedly I have some idea what is going on.

After my car was well broken in (3000 miles or so) I tested my ABS and VSC. I didn't go out on the freeway and cram on the brakes at 80 mph or anything, I worked up to it starting at 50 mph or so I increased brake pressure gradually untill the ABS was activated. After I discovered what it would feel like I did cram on the brakes from about 70 mph and they work very well indeed, you can steer just fine due to the ABS system and you stop quickly. I tested the VSC much the same way, on a completely empty large parking lot. I went in large circles gradually increasing speed until the VSC activated and I noted the result, brakes applied individually to control the skid and power decreased to slow the vehicle. It was a lot of fun to do my "tests" and not scary at all. I think I have a lot more confidence in the car as a result.

I never try things that the car was not designed to do, and I make sure no one else is around.

17. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That does sound like fun.. I wonder if a gravel lot would be easier?

18. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Easier to activate the ABS and VSC, yes. It wouldn't be as realistic though, unless you drive on these roads regularly. The dynamics of pavement and gravel are different, and the gravel can throw off the VSC a little, as the car will not respond as it should when on pavement. If all you want is to induce the ABS and VSC, then try it on gravel, but if you really want o get an idea of how it functions, do it on a surface more like what you drive on most of the time.

19. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I agree with DocV, do it on surfaces you drive on. If it snows try that too, just remember to give yourself more room when it's slippery. Also before you try the VSC on pavement make sure your tire pressures are up.

20. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

I just mainly want to make sure it even works at all... if it works.. I assume it will work right...

I've just heard stories of wrecks etc and the person claims it never kicked in.