1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Boston traffic reporters call hypermiling 'heinous'

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by adamg, May 29, 2007.

1. adamg

adamg New Member

Cindy Campbell and Jeff Larson do traffic reports in the Boston area. Of late, they've been blogging about all the horrible things Boston drivers do. Today, they complain about hypermilers - whom they think always drive right behind the rear bumpers of 18-wheelers and refuse to use brakes when making turns. Also:

"In addition to these techniques, which can be both illegal and dangerious, Hypermilers will drive well below the speed limit in an effort to increase mileage. This means that they may be on 93 – 128 – 495 going well below the speed limit."

Oh, so that's why traffic is so bad around here: All those durn Prius owners!

2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Ok, Guilty! . . . you got me.

[attachmentid=8412]
    But I leave for my drive around 3:45am. Driving on 50mph roads, yea, I'm doing 35 - 40 ... but with no other cars all the way to the horizon. Heading home, it's 1:30pm when most of the work force just got back from lunch. Again. Light traffic. Is that so henious? Show some love :p

I'll go back to normal speed . . . just as soon as I finish this 700+ mile projected tank.

Attached Files:

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Every responsible hypermiler passing on some tips to other drivers provides the warning to only attempt those techniques when traffic allows.

That said, as soon as someone can get the loud motorcycles to stop revving in front of my house, I'll consider driving a little faster. As soon as someone makes it illegal to install 4,000 decibel sub-woofers, I'll think about not coasting to red lights. Until then, if I have to tolerate the motorcycles and the thumpity thumpity horrible music, they will tolerate my responsible driving.

4. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hey,

What about all the Red Light Racers, that are in MY way, when I come gliding into a green light! I think we should all start beeping them for not moving when the light is green - like We are!

Today, I dusted one. Road widened to three lanes, and I hit the green in the far left (nobody in that lane at the light), and zoomed out in front of the pack to the far right to get to the ramp - in front of a black 'stang who Red Light Raced past me 2 lights before - cigarette almost fell out of his mouth!. Great fun - and 59.5 mpg! That will teach 'em not to HYPERMILE!

5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(adamg @ May 29 2007, 08:31 PM) [snapback]451785[/snapback]</div>
    I read their posting and didn't see anything particularly wrong with it. Some of the extreme techniques they cited are hazardous and have become associated with "hypermiler." It is in human nature to often see the flaws first. Sad to say but the Mother Jones article and others have led to this perception.

Bob Wilson

6. VABeachPrius

VABeachPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hill @ May 29 2007, 09:40 PM) [snapback]451790[/snapback]</div>
    Way to go, Hill. That screen looks great. 70.1 mpg after 223 miles.

7. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ May 29 2007, 09:14 PM) [snapback]451811[/snapback]</div>
    Bad poster boys are more likly to get press, even if they are not representive at all. :(

Remember in school that kids run all the time, while the teachers walk and show authority? For some crazy reason many drivers drive like kids - most of their accelerations and lane changes are a total waste...then the get angry with it's pointed out it's not a very effective way to drive.