1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Both "BRAKE" and "!ABS" warning lights p

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jchu, Jun 20, 2004.

1. jchu

jchu New Member

Help,

Until now have had no problems with our '04 pkg #3 Black now with 10516 miles on it. This last week while coming home my wife noticed that suddenly both the "Brakewarnings and recommended that one should stop immediately and contact a Toyota dealer :cry: . When she started up again, they were gone. This weekend, we were driving around looking at a number of builders' show homes when this happened again... Twice... with me driving. Again both times when we shut down and restarted, the lights went out and stayed out; the second time for a good 20 mile drive home :? . The second episode this weekend, I avoided telling my wife as we were just coming to the last show home that we planned to look at and I knew that we would get to shut down anyway. Didn't want to further alarm her as the brakes still seemed to be functioning properly.

It is currently running in the mid 80's and while it may be erroneous, it seems to me to have something to do with the heat. First my wife and then I, as I was changing the oil today, checked the brake fluid which is full. The brakes seemed to be working for me just fine, even when the warning lights are on, though I certainly didn't slam them on to engage/check the ABS function.

Has anyone had similar difficulties? Do any of our PriusChat experts, (s.a. John1701a, Evan, etc.) know what might actully be happening, as they do seem to reset and stay off, after a short shutdown. How critical is it to get to the dealer asap?

(Note: we do also need the SSC 40D update, but my understanding of that update is that it has to do with emissions error codes rather than the brake system. And I was hoping to hold off until the mandatory 15k dealer check with all the system inpections.) :roll:

Any and all thoughts appreciated.

Jon

2. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Have the problem checked out immediately. Brakes are too important to ignore.

3. mdacmeis

mdacmeis Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The presence of both lights indicates either an electrical problem with the brake controller or one of its sensors or actuators, or an intermittent electrical connection. The dealer will read the diagnostic codes to determine the source of the problem. If no codes are present, the problem is with a power feed or ground to the brake controller. If you verify proper brake operation when both lights are present, you can drive the car without immediate concern. However, brake assist and ABS will not work.

This is a dealer issue for most people. They have high tech equipment which will identify the root cause. Time to go see your dealer.

4. jchu

jchu New Member

mdacmeis, Just came to that conclusion myself, before seeing your post as it happened again. I continue to contend however that it is a heat related issue wherever the fault is as it is only happening during the heat of the day. Guess I'll get the SSC 40D software update at the same time.

Will keep everyone posted.

5. jchu

jchu New Member

Update on the "Brake / !ABS" warning light combo. Thankfully turned out to be quite boring. Error Code #C1249. Error generated from somewhere in the brake light circuit. Tech "adjusted brake light switch." Advised to bring it back to replace switch if problem recurs. Reassured, not a fatal flaw requiring emergent return if happens again. Just get it in soon (as opposed to soonest).

Evan Fusco, any idea of what the code was precisely. Not part of the codes you posted in thread "Prius Down!".

P.S. Got SSC 40D reprogramming done at the same time. No hitchs. Tom Scott Toyota in Caldwell, ID treated us well.

6. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Very glad to hear it wasn't serious. Send me a PM so when I'm awake tomorrow I can look it up.