1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Both electronic keys broken $400 plus

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Dr Rocket, Jul 21, 2006.

1. Dr Rocket

Dr Rocket New Member

2005 Prius, 28,000 miles, 11 months old

Last month my electronic key broke a button. I was using the other electronic key and yesterday it stopped working. I put in new batteries, and they still can't open the doors. I can drive however.

Toyota of Covina wants over $400 to replace one and reprogram two. They say the reprogamming takes 2 hours. They also say it isn't covered under warranty?

Any ideas out there? This sounds unusual that both broke around the same time and that they are not covered under warranty.

2. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dr Rocket @ Jul 21 2006, 01:05 PM) [snapback]290087[/snapback]</div>
    You don't have to buy the keys from the dealer, you can purchase them from 3rd parties, however right now the dealer is the only one who can program the computer to read the keys. Get an itimized estimate from the dealer and then go shopping online for replacement fobs and then go back with your reasearch from the Internet and see if the dealer will price match.

A key that just stops working should be a warranty issue. That doesn't sound like wear and tear on the key, but a faulty key. The one with the broken button is a wear and tear issue and as such, in fairness, I can see why it would not be covered under warranty, but also, I see this as a customer service issue and Toyota should back you up on this.

You dealer has put their flag in the ground on this issue. Try to talk them down, and if they do not budge call Toyota's national customer service line and get the problem taken care of there. Dealers are in business to make money. It seems to me that many do not want to do warranty work (or rather make warranty claims) either because it doesn't pay them as well as their direct-to-customer rates or they don't want to have to wait for Toyota to pay for the warranty claim. And I suppose there is always risk that the warranty claim will be denied by Toyota and then the dealer is left haning, however that is no excuse for the dealer not exploring the lowest cost option for you the customer.

3. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'd go to a different dealer. The broken button is inexcuseable for less than a year of use. And the reprogramming should be covered too. Complain higher up if no dealer in your area will fix them.

4. Dr Rocket

Dr Rocket New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jeromep @ Jul 21 2006, 01:17 PM) [snapback]290094[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for the very quick response. Can you recommend a source for new FOB's?

5. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    If the keys stopped working, I wouldn't rest until Toyota gave me new ones. Escalate the problem to Toyota if you have to. If they're defective, they absolutely should be covered under the warranty, and I would want them to show me where it says in the warranty information included in the owners manual where it excludes keys and key fobs.

6. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Isn't it difficult to drive the car when you're unable to open the doors? :eek: :blink: :)

7. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Try Bill G. at [email protected], Mike Calvert Toyota Customer, 1-800-527-5368

I bought a fob for $131.00 (List is $174), but it was NOT SKS and that was a year ago.

8. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rancid13 @ Jul 21 2006, 04:33 PM) [snapback]290111[/snapback]</div>
    You can use the little key hidden in the FOB to open the doors, and then simply plug the FOB into the dash to power up.

9. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    those keys should be able to stand up to wear and tear, i'd push for warranty coverage on that.

10. Sho-Bud

Sho-Bud Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Are you sure you didn't accidentally pushed the switch under the steering wheel? The one that disables the Smart Key Entry System?

11. Dr Rocket

Dr Rocket New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sho-Bud @ Jul 21 2006, 03:56 PM) [snapback]290184[/snapback]</div>
    1. I didn't know such a switch existed. My system requires that I push a button on the FOB to open the doors. On the first FOB, the button mechanically broke. The second FOB I used to lock the car in the morning, but couldn't unlock the car later that afternoon. I'll look for the switch later.

2. GOOD NEWS. Covina Toyota fixed and programmed both FOBs free of charge after some calm conversations with the service manager. He still maintains that these are considered wear items and not covered by the warranty. He says he was doing me a favor.

Thank you everyone for the guidance.

12. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dr Rocket @ Aug 2 2006, 03:56 PM) [snapback]296604[/snapback]</div>
    If you have the Smart Key System (aka SKS) there's a button under the steering wheel and the logo on the FOB is silver. I see you have a #3 package on your 2005, that should have the SKS.