1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Both front turn signals are having issues?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by peterscache12, Jun 10, 2023.

1. peterscache12

peterscache12 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hello all, first time prius owner here. 2013 Prius Plug-in, 137k miles.

When we bought it, we neglected to check the turn signals in the front and noticed a weird issue only after we got home. The rear signals worked great, but neither of the front ones would light up. And the signal itself made an irregular rhythm inside the cab.

I replaced the two front bulbs, and still had the same issue.

I replaced the flasher relay, the one located inside the car about a 18" above the brake pedal. And that fixed the irregular flash rhythm. But I still had no front signals.

But inspecting it in the dark, I realize that both front turn signals actually flash, just very dimly (using either turn direction). Pressing the hazard button makes the rear ones flash just fine, but the front ones don't flash at all.

If I remove either of the front bulbs, neither of them will flash dimly by themselves. I removed the front fender and located the grounding wire/bolt just below the main headlight on the drivers side. I checked for continuity from the turn signal plug ground to the bolt ground, and it was good. I also checked the positive of the plug to the bolt ground, and it also had continuity??? I realized later I forgot to check continuity from the grounding bolt to another piece of metal (like the engine).

The peak voltage I measure inside the turn signal plug varies between 8-14v.

I also turned on the daytime running lights DRL, and realized that BOTH FLASH at full brightness whenever I activate the right or left turn signal. I'm not sure, but I don't think that's supposed to happen either.

Any help would be appreciated. I have a basic understanding of electronics and I've worked on plenty of personal vehicles, but I'm a little stymied with this one.

2. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Has that car been in a front end collision; because it sounds like it's wired up wrong. DRL isn't suppose to flash while using your turn signals. At least my car doesn't wink at other cars. ;)That's probably how the last flasher was fired; too large of a current draw. If you bought this car at a dealership; I don't know how it passed a safety inspection. Hopefully you don't have to do safety inspections in Utah; because it would fail. If you can find the body shop that repaired it; make them correct their mistake.

If you don't mind tracing wires; hopefully someone here can supply you with a wiring diagram.

Good Luck.