1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Both my dim headlights are out

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Taxi/Limo, Jul 8, 2023.

1. Taxi/Limo

Taxi/Limo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Is there a fuse that controls both dim headlights?

2. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    they're fused individually by side, AFAIK.

Most people lose one side without realizing it and then when the other goes dark it appears that they both failed at the same time. And it's usually just the bulbs.

Brian1954 likes this.
  3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yeah but it's not likely the fuse is making the headlights dim! So if you undo one of your headlights and if you're a shop person you have another plug to put on that headlight and you put it to 12 volts is it brighter when it's out of the car with 12 volts hitting it from a battery or is it the same dim Why not just toss those and put in some aux Beam S1 in proper h number for the car and never deal with this again in your lifetime that might be too easy. Some people like gaming all these problems and going through all the stuff for whatever reason. All of my generation threes have H11 I believe it is bulbs mentioned above the s ones matter of fact because of this and they're aimed properly I rarely turn on the high beams almost never as a matter of fact I've just left the halogens in the high beams because they're used so rarely if ever since nobody cares now my wife's car I put whatever it is in the high then the low beam H11 low h8 high or vice versa whatever it is she has s ones in both of her sockets because well she's a girl We don't want to take any chances . Just being her is high risk enough.

4. Taxi/Limo

Taxi/Limo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks
    I just replaced one of the dim bulbs and now it's out ?

5. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    You replaced with what reg halogen?? Do you have capability to measure voltage at plug to headlight??

6. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Too many h11s from Amazon or Ebay are cheap. Plus the "extra bright" versions have 50% or less hours than the basic bulb.

If you are going halogen h11 try Sylvania H11 Basic
    IMG_2335.jpeg

I finally went LEDs and am happy with the beam spread, high brightness, and ease of installation. About $44 a pair after coupon.
    IMG_2334.jpeg

7. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I really like the AUX beam and there are others like the S1 from them because they're fanless I had some of the fan models a few years ago and they got to rattle and clicking and whining pretty quickly so sitting at idle it sounded like you had a mini turbo under the hood oh I'm sorry not turbo blow off valve like the fake ones you can get you put on the car and they make a racket when you're sitting there The toys. So I kind of didn't like the fans the big heat sinks on the S1 seem to do really good down here in the south so I imagine they'll be good pretty much anywhere. And then he posted back a few hours later thanks a lot now both my lights are out and I was asking him if the power is on and the lights are on can you get power to the plug that plugs onto your headlight Do the high beam still work and then everything went silent