1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bottom Hatchback Window Stains - Anyone else?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by wtb1, Aug 9, 2010.

1. wtb1

wtb1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi folks,

Has anyone else noticed that the bottom hatchback window doesn't clean very well? 2 weeks ago I bought a new Prius II and after giving my car a new wash this weekend I noticed small water marks on the bottom hatchback window. After trying to wipe them off with a microfiber cloth, they were still there. Then I tried Windex but they didn't go away. The only way I could get the water stains out was to scratch them off with my finger nail.

Did I just get a bad window without the right coating? None of my other windows has this problem. Anyone else noticing this problem?

Thanks,
    Tim

2. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Have they come back after you removed them?

Sounds like it could be surface contaminants that happened during transportation. I had a similar issue on a previous car--when I got the car home I noticed water spots big time on the windshield, and to a lesser extend on the other windows. Sometimes vinegar will remove the surface contaminant--didn't work in my case, so I got some Griot's fine glass polish:
    Glass Polish - Polishes - Polishing - Car Care - Griot's Garage

3. wtb1

wtb1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I haven't checked yet whether they come back. If they do, I think Toyota might have sprayed the bottom window incorrectly. I guess other people haven't seen this. In any case, thanks for the link to the glass polish!

4. Mike@Lincoln

Mike@Lincoln Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    There is another product that might work for you. It's called A-maz "Clean and Green" water stain remover. You can check it out on the net. The URL is amaz.biz.

5. Kermit262

Kermit262 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hey Tim, I have them to! They were there when I took delivery. Haven't gotten rid of them yet. What is the surface of the spoiler made of? Glass or plastic? I was thinking a polish would remove them.

Bob

6. wtb1

wtb1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think it's glass. I bought a glass polish cleaner today from my local O'Reilly store for $4. It says it removes water stains and calcium deposits. The salesperson said it's the only thing that reliably removes RainX as well. I'll try today or tomorrow and let everyone know how well it worked.

7. wtb1

wtb1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well, I tried the Glass Scrub by Glass Science which I bought from O'Reilly for about $4 and it removed many of the water stains but not all. However, if I work at any of the stains, they do come off. Hopefully, a better product like Griot's Garage polish which STREAM recommended will allow me to remove stains more easily. If people have tried other products that work really well on water stains, let us all know