1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bottom line -- NAV + BT worth $3K?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by dstrout, Apr 28, 2005.

1. dstrout

dstrout New Member

Gaithersburg, MD (suburb of Washington, D.C.)
    (I looked through & didn't see a thread like this, but if there is a past thread on the same subject, forgive me)

I'm wondering how really useful the nav and bluetooth stuff is? Do you find you still use it after 15 or 20K miles, or has the novelty worn off?

I'm now waiting until July to get an '05, and can't decide on pkg #4 vs. #6, so I'm trying to get some feedback. At first blush it's "Oh! Must have!". But then as I read more about the speed lockouts, greyed out phone numbers, etc., I'm wondering how much real use it would get.

So, would you spend the extra $$ to get it again now that you've lived with it a while?

thanks,
    dave.

2. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The extra $2500 to $3000 did not seem worth it to me for blue tooth and NAV. I work with differential GPS and expect greater precision. The "mapquest" navigation and maps operate on a "set mode" directing you to take longer routes when more direct routes are a better choice.

I have the 2005 AM package and everything works great (just turned 9000 mi). I don't miss having NAV or blue tooth one bit.

3. hnational

hnational Junior Member

I had the same question several months back. I'm glad you've decided to at least get the sess fob - that's the best add on over all. my second fav - also my fiance's fav - is the lady in the dash. if you ever print directions from the web or have to stop and ask and if you do this with any sort of frequency you'll love it. I love the nav system and believe it is a lot easier to use built in rather than an add on system. I have not used the bluetooth yet but plan on getting a treo 650 in nov when my sprint contract lets me.
    bottom line: i used to have to print directions a ton especially with my job and now i never have to and it's made life grand in that respect. I asked the same question to this board several months back and really if you have a partner with whom you argue about directions ever, then definately invest in it.

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Would I spend the money...yes, and I already have (almost) by getting the NAV for our on-order Highlander Hybrid.

Is it worth it? Who knows. There is absolutely no way to put a fixed number on the 'value' of it. I installed my own speed sensor defeats for both BT & NAV and that definately increased the 'value' to me by increasing the utility. "I've probably used the NAV (I mean to actually find someplace I didn't know where it was) 15-20 times in 22K+ miles. But then this is my commuter vehicle in a smallish town and I'm boring and don't go too many places that are hard to find. If you live in a city or often go to new places it could have great value to you.

The added control options via the steering wheel and voice features for the climate control and radio are very nice added conveniences. I'm glad I have it, but I don't know that I could say that I could financially justify it...but then I can't financially justify the Prius either...a used Echo would have made much much more financial sense. The SKS, NAV, BT, HID, Fog lamps, etc. all add comfort, convenience, and luxury features that make my car feel special to me and ultimately increase my satisfaction with the car...so to me they're worth it. Others may not place the same value on those things and could then say it isn't worth it.

As stated, there are better GPS systems that are easier to use and have no issues with 'lock out' or anything. And it isn't that much harder to hold the phone to your ear or install a hands-free system in the car yourself..again for less money and argueably equal or greater satisfaction.

Look at your bank account, ask what value you think those items would have to you personally and do the math.

5. NCNyrk

NCNyrk New Member

I struggled with the same decision, and settled on Package 4 (to be picked up on Saturday!). In the end, I realized that I could buy a pretty nice laptop, GPS software, and handheld GPS receiver for less money than the NAV, and that would give me a portable solution. I usually need better directions when I'm travelling away from home, which usually means a flight and a rental car, so the built-in solution wouldn't help me there at all.

I'm sure the built-in solution is much less hassle, but even if you use it once a week for 6 years, you're basically paying $10 a pop for directions, which seemed a little steep to me...of course, YMMV...

6. Devil's Advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I will not own another car without EITHER or at least some equivalent!

the convenience of the phone and the nave system are a little much but check the specs, I think you get a little more than that, even if it isn't all readily apparent.

I've got almost 8,000 miles on an 05 salsa red and use the nav more and more. Its great for LA traffic for finding detours and new locations, or old locations when coming from a different direction. This city is HUGE and it all looks the same. I travel allot so the NAV is worth it, If you never leave a ten square mile area, yeah its probably overkill, but if you're on the east coast and travel from DC to Philly to Jersey to NY to wherever the frik you go on the east coast it would be well worth the piece of mind of always knowing what is around.

7. DaveG

DaveG Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Well, if it had been an option when I bought my Canadian "B" Model in Dec 03, I would've added the Nav/Bluetooth.

But it wasn't available, so I picked up a Garmin Streepilot 2610 instead ($1100 cdn at the time).

Does the job just fine, and is arguably better than Toyota's OEM GPS system (better software updates, it's portable so you can take it to any car, can sell it off and upgrade without changing cars, etc). The only downside is that it's not built-into the car and it has a smaller screen.

The bluetooth would be convenient, but my pocketPC isn't really lacking in that regard anyway.

Dave

8. dstrout

dstrout New Member

Gaithersburg, MD (suburb of Washington, D.C.)
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Devil's Advocate\";p=\"85356)</div>
    Heh -- good point on that. I live outside the beltway that surrounds Washington, D.C., and I probably venture into the rat's maze that is D.C. 1 or 2 times a year at most, because it's so easy to get turned around and lost. And every time I do, I cuss and swear :cussing: I'll never do it again.

dave.

9. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    On our first Prius we got the works. On our second Prius we opted for the pkg 5. The Nav isn't really that great, though we have found it useful about half the time we use it. Never need it at all unless we travel. The bluetooth however is great.

The bottom line is this; 3000$ plus tax and finance charges. (whether you finance or not, the money sunk into the car still costs you.) Total comes to about 55 dollars a month on a 60 month note. We decided that there were other things we could do with 55 dollars a month that would have more impact on our lives.

Another way we looked at it was like this. We are saving 250$ a month on gas and maintainance, compared to the Ford Explorer that we unloaded. The payment for 60 months at 4.7% with 4000$ down comes to 405$ a month. The cost to drive a new car came to 155$ a month added to our budget. The pkg 6 would have been a difference of 210$. That's a 33% increase in the impact on our cashflow for a minimal gain in functionallity compared to the car itself.

That's my fuzzy headed logic. YLMV