1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bought '06 JDM Touring tdy, need RHD all weather mats, cargo liner, seat covers

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by rewing, Mar 4, 2024.

1. rewing

rewing New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just bought it today from a guy that imports them from Japan. He's sold over 300 of them here. It's a white 2006 with beige interior, touring package. New brakes, tires, replaced battery cooling system pump, thoroughly checked and reconditioned/balanced battery that's reading 105% capacity. The car has 22,500 something kms on it and still has a couple pieces of the original protective plastic on the A/B pillars and passenger sun visor - basically a "Brand New," 2006 Prius.

Anyways, I want to swap out the carpet floor mats for all weather rubber ones and get a similar liner for the cargo area ASAP as well as some sort of vinyl seat covers. I know I'm going to need front floor mats configured for a RHD car. I might have to source them from Japan or New Zealand or somewhere outside of Canada.

Are there OEM ones that are a perfect fit and function? Or is there a specific aftermarket option that is hands down The Best? Same for a cargo area liner - I don't want flimsy junk or stiff plastic that will get brittle. The mats and trunk liner I had my in my last car (Dodge Dart) were factory upgrades that were thick heavy duty rubber and are still good after 6+ years. The drivers side one shows signs of wear, but he other 3 floor mats are near new and the trunk liner is in great shape and has done it's job keeping the trunk clean. I want the same for the "new," Prius. I don't want to waste money unnecessarily, but I'm not super price sensitive. If there's an OEM or aftermarket option that is The Best Set that will last for many years then I don't mind paying for it vs. buying and replacing cheap junk frequently.

Floor mats and cargo area liner are the things I'm most interested in recommendations on/links to purchase, but I'm also 100% open to suggestions for seat covers. I plan to scotch guard all of the interior fabric, and then put some vinyl seat covers over them to protect them from dust etc from my job and sand from the beach. Again, if there's a brand/set that fit and look great, I'm all ears.. but I also know I can just buy some generic ones at a local Canadian Tire store and put them on. More important to have very good/perfect fitting floor mats and cargo liner - but I'll Also take perfect fitting seat covers if they exist, too. :)

Thanks in advance for any leads on a great set of floor mats for a RHD Prius 2 Touring!

2. Aloe

Aloe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Same boat as you bud, same color combo as well.. I bet we bought it from the same guy, is his name Frank? Mine is missing the cargo liner and the big black plastic piece that goes on top of the radiator as well as the bottom front middle splash shied. Check your engine oil, mine was overfilled by 1/4" or about 1 quart. My tires are the wrong size so it reads faster than what the actual speed is. Other than that, 2006 with 51k KM (now 54k) excellent condition was rated 4.5 Grade, 5 being new.

Rubber mats, just buy any generic ones, not perfect but good enough. I have only one on the driver side and it fits perfectly, didn't require any trimming.

I would caution spraying Scotch Guard, that stuff is not healthy for you. It's like Teflon in a bottle. Chair isn't comfortable, especially the lumbar part, but do a search, someone here has a lumbar solution, I'd just put a small pillow on there and be done with it.

3. rewing

rewing New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yes, from Frank. I'll check those things out. Afaik nothing is missing. *Just checked* Yeah the spec is 195/55/16 and they're 205/55/16 so the speedo will read a bit lower, stop and go acceleration and fuel economy will suffer slightly, but highway fuel economy may actually increase slightly with the "final drive gear ratio," of a larger rolling diameter tire. Probably about a wash all around - I'm not particularly bothered by it. Would be annoying if they were slightly Smaller tires and highway fuel economy suffered.

I had OEM rubber mats in my Dodge Dart that just got totalled. I always change my clothes and shoes after work before driving, so not too worried about smearing drywall mud on them.. but with how frequently I go to the beach, sand ends up e v e r y w h e r e. So, even thought they don't have a rubber option, I decided to go with the most robust option of custom mats from Manicci (local) so that it's easy to vacuum up sand and not have it grind into he carpets everywhere. I guess I'll see how long they last - probably a long time, especially with the separate carpet on top.

Ordered the last set of non-perforated black vinyl Clazzio seat covers, too, to keep drywall dust and crap off the seats that'll otherwise get ruined or be a pita to clean even though I change my clothes.

Just ordered an OMAC cargo liner - half the price direct from the American distributor and shipped to Blaine than ordering on amazon! If you want a plastic/rubber type cargo liner this is likely the best value, IMO. If you want a black carpet one, Frank gave me one that once I have the rubber one down I'll realistically probably never use. Some sellers sell a separate carpet mat to keep things from sliding around so I might try layering them and see if they fit together and if that makes a big difference or not, but chances are pretty good I'll just use the OMAC one and the black Prius carpet one will be up for grabs.

Now to find the parts to get my extra large Thule box mounted on top for a "second trunk," for my long & dusty tools. Then I might have someone local 3D print me some riser blocks for the cargo area pull screen cover - it'll slope down towards the back but being higher I can then put 1/2 a dozen 5 gallon buckets in the cargo area and still close the cover to be out of sight.

Haven't driven it tons yet, but still several hundred kms. Haven't noticed an issue with the seat at all - so far so good seems fine. IF I have an issue I'm sure I can stick a cushion behind my back.

I've been on lots of forums. Never had one where you're prohibited from posting links. Kinda dumb. Was going to link to the floor mat company but you can easily search it. If generic mats are good enough coverage for you, then no need - but I figured this way with near complete carpet coverage I can keep the beach sand from destroying the carpets and being a pita to clean out.

4. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You have 5 posts on your profile, so you should be okay to post links now. The restriction was put in place as a counter-bot measure. A little inconvenient for new users, but the bots are kept out.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Sound like nice cars, congrats

6. Aloe

Aloe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My tires are 205/50/16 so it's a bit smaller. He said he is doing the inverter pump replacements nowadays since many have failed after delivery. Mine just failed 2 months ago and I replaced it myself with the help of this forum. It is strange that the pump seems to have an age failure variable (at least 2 pumps total in 18 years with 54K KM, 1 pump under my ownership in 2 years of those 18 years and 3k KM).

My first mod is coming thru the mail, a touchscreen Car Play / Android unit to replace the stock radio. I'm tired of using the FM transmitter to play music as well as the limited Japanese radio band. The stock stereo interestingly has CD, Hard Drive, MD, Nav, and radio with remote control. If I can find a cheap MFD (the top most display), I'd like to change it out to get English. Recently there was a seller in Vancouver selling a RHD with English MFD and a touchscreen stereo, upon contact he wouldn't provide any information. The Japanese MFD isn't much of a bother to me. Incidentally as well, my mile per gallon (or KM per liter) histogram isn't working. Once I start on the install, I want to see if I have a DRL module under the steering wheel dash, mind is not the modification that is usually on the right side engine bay fuse box and Frank couldn't find info for my particular car either.

I'd be interested in how your Clazzio works out. How much and where did you get it from. I hear it's not easy to install. If I can find factory leather seats from a wrecker, I'd be interested to see if it would fit.

Although your car has 1/2 the mileage than my car, I would suggest you change out your liquids, especially the transmission fluid. I did mine myself and that lurch/kick when the engine turns on is a lot less now. Unless Frank tells you it was changed by him/his shop, I would do it. Cheap and easy to do by yourself. I've changed out all fluids and now waiting for parts/tools to do the brake fluids and to clean/inspect the brakes. Incidentally our RHD radiator fluid change is easy and takes less coolant since it is missing the heat retention canister that are on North American Priuses.

7. rewing

rewing New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe the English display came from Ireland or New Zealand? English speaking RHD countries.

No idea if the fuel consumption history thing works. Not sure where it is in the menus.

The radio doesn't bother me so far. Probably won't bother changing anything about it tbh. I might look up the English versions of all the screens and learn what things say, though.

Someone at Japanoid might be able to tell you if there's a DRL module or w/e. That's where the DRL's and brakes were done one my car - I saw the invoice.

Clazzio - yeah time will tell. Hoping they're a tight good looking fit. I bought them from canadaseatskins.ca and ordered the last set of Non perforated black vinyl (taxi style, easier to wipe clean than perforated) and they were expensive at about $800 all in. Way more than the regular non-perforated, but I think they're heavier duty material as well as they have 3x the warranty. I didn't want to have perforated vinyl or leather because cleaning drywall dust out of the holes is a pita.

Had the footwells 3D scanned at Manicci.com for custom floor mats to keep the beach sand off. $508 all in w/ secondary carpet mats on top of their V3 mats; the most robust they make.

I might just go ahead and have all of the fluids changed at my regular place where I took my last car for oil changes. I don't have an oil pan or anywhere to dump oil or transmission fluid etc as we don't do those things at home. The only transmission fluid on the garage floor is what leaked out of the 1960 Valiant. :/ It's not challenging to turn a plug or cap loose or install a new crush washer, it's just Wth am I gonna do with used oil or transmission fluid sloshing around in a pan? Transport it somewhere? F that. Way easier to just drive the car to a shop and let them make $20 profit on the oil change. Gone are the days of dirty garages now that a house costs $1.8M.. and who wants to risk used oil in their car to go get rid of it? Rather just pay a shop - worth the $20 extra every time.

Some dink hit and ran my car in a grocery store parking lot yesterday, gouged the paint down to the plastic on the rear bumper. Probably gonna file a claim and eventually get it re-painted since the car looks near brand new otherwise.